Damien Rice Cannonball by dtaylor

dtaylor

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:01 pm

I thought it about time I put up a video with my new guitar, and Neil has been asking for videos for review so I might get back into the habit.
Come on people lets get posting videos for review again!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

jayswett

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I too l ike Damien Rice alot. His song Older Chests is a favorite of mine, and I have managed to learn it, but not well enough to post a videoon it. I liked your call for all of us to post more videos, and I will heed that call (tomorrow).

Nice job on this video. Immediately recognizable and well played. Is singing out of the question?

dtaylor

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks Jay,

I was going to put up Older Chests too, I've gotten through most of the Damien Rice lessons, he's got a knack of taking a simple idea and turning it into gold. Although saying that I think if I lived a thousand years I couldn't come up with something as good as Cannonball.

I might try singing it, but like Neil I tend to shy away from songs which are outside my comfort zone. I'll see how it goes ;)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:12 pm

At last we get to hear that fabulous guitar Dean! What a beaut! And nicely played sir, I enjoyed that. Must be great to be picking up your new BSG any time of the bay and let it sing like that. I have to arrange visiting hours! Congrats!

cosmicmechanic

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Dean, I'm not familiar with this song nor much of the artist, didn't get on that train even when Neil was on a Damian Rice kick a while back. Now your video got me to go look the tune up on YouTube. Damian's voice sure is a fine-sounding instrument.

Your instrumental is well-measured, busy in the right places. The kind of playing we should have all around us, but is actually quite rare.
And you do other tunes of his ? You can be proud of this, it's really enjoyable.

Pierre

willem

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 am

Hi Dean,,I think it was great(i fist listen to DR) and this you got good under your belt,,you can be very proud..

It sounded so fabulous en you did it so relaxed and smooth

Of course its also an singin song,maybe try make it your own and then you got you a super song..

I'm very curious whats Neil gonna add at your playing...maybe something like dynamics in the tune?? I don't know really...

Willem

ps Whats your new guitar??

dtaylor

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:39 am

Chris, your baby will be all the more precious once you have your hands on her as she's been out of reach for so long ;)

Pierre, thanks for your comments, I'd love to be able to do the lyrics justice. I've worked on Delicate , Eskimo, Older Chests, and a couple of others. I'll work on the vocals and see if I can put one up.

Willem, thanks for the compliment, the new guitar is a BSG, Brazilian rosewood, handmade in Czech Republic. I've just got to improve a lot to justify owning such a thing now!

tombo1230

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Dean, nice guitar. B)

You have done a great job learning that tune, instantly recognisable. I will be interested in what Neil's critique has to offer. :)

I might have a look at this myself,............ I can add it to the long list I guess :blink: :)

Thanks for sharing.

Tom N.

dennisg

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 am

Dean,

I'm embarrassed to admit that I not only don't know the song, I've never even heard of the artist -- so I want to thank you for introducing me to both of them.

Not knowing the song, I was able to appreciate your virtuosity without having the missing lyrics in the back of my mind. To me it was just a beautiful instrumental that you played exceptionally well. Part of what a I really like about your playing -- and something a lot of us can learn from watching it -- is your judicious use of the pick. A lot of us would instinctively bash all the strings all the time. But I really like the delicate way you use the pick, sometimes just tapping a single string, sometimes two, sometimes more. But the way you do it brings variety and dynamics to the song.

dtaylor

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks Tom, the guitar flatters me I think :)

Dennis, thank you for your generous comment, I was really taken when I heard Neil playing this how the high and low melodies intermingle, but only when they're given time to breathe. It rewards you for playing less.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic