Extreme by jayswett

jayswett

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

I haven't uploaded a video in a long time, so I had to re-learn how to record, edit, synch and uplpoad. The bottom line is that the vidoe is blurry, I think because the resolution I chose was too low. In any case, this is a song that I first heard in the early 90's, and immediately after hearing it managed to get into a friendly argument with my buddy about whether or not heavy metal bands should be making love ballads. At the time, we were sitting in a bar called Satisfactions in Durham, NC. I think Every Rose Has It's Thorn came out a roughly the same time as this, and it irked by friend that these types of songs were getting air time. In any case, I did not find this song to be an easy one, but it did give me an opportunity to learn some new techniques. Watching the video, I can already see that I need to make my "taps" more prominent.

tovo

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey Jay. I'm real glad you chose this and not "Every Rose has its Thorn"! I always really liked this tune.

You also self critiqued, leaving not much else to say. For me, I'd like it to be just a bit slower, but I suspect being the human metronome that you are, the tempo is pretty spot on.

Always enjoy your videos, blurry or not. Thanks mate.

tombo1230

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

That was great Jay!

You obviously know what it needs (not very much) so nothing more to be said except.............. I really enjoyed that. :)

Tom N.

Craig

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Nice job Jay. Great to see something from you again! I touught you did a nice job all the way around. ... I like to hear a ballad from a heavy metal band, shows a whole differnet side of them which is somewhat cool in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing,

Craig

Music Junkie

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Jay:

That was great. You pointed out the taps, but they are Very close. Your technique was solid, and I struggle so much with the muting of stuff like this. I'll bet if you played it again today, you would have the taps right where you want them.... B)

BTW, used to have the ballad argument among my friends back then too. I always tended to like them, and have learned to play a few of my favorites in a very simple campfire manner. Muss less challenging than what you took on...... ;)

Awesome post, and good to see you again.

MJ

willem

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 am

Hi Jay,,man were have you bin..

If we were talking a bout favorite songs this is really one of mine and must go back to it and not only for the song but also the skills in it..

The sound we get on this side is very good and I know how you work,,,you film with a kodak zi28?? and record at the same time the sound in audicity is'nt it?..I want to say this 'cos a new Member (TERRY) is trying to figure this out,,

I wish I was on my way like you are with this song, I enjoyed it pretty much,,thx

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:06 am

Hey Jay, great to see you again (almost)... I thought I'd left my glasses in the bathroom because that's what the screen looks like without them :huh:

Tony said it, you are still the living metronome but maybe it could be slightly more laid back, if you sang with it, you'd find out ;-)

This song was over played here so its jaded me a bit but folks love to hear it, for sure. Great to hear from you again my friend!

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 am

I used to know this song.. was one of the first I tried on TG..

I agree with others that it could be slowed down a bit.
Other than that though- Really like it, and your version, Jay.

Great to see another vid from you.

BTW- maybe you need to hire your son to work the camera again for you!!
:laugh:

dtaylor

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

As always Jay, that sounded very professional and polished, your guitar sounds great, timing was excellent.

That's one of those 'technique' songs everyone should learn to add another string to their bow, I'll get round to it one day.

Thanks for posting.
Dean

MarkM

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Long time no see Jay................

As always your timing throughout is excellent. Very presise. As others have said maybe a bit slower. Adding vocals will probably help to slow it down a bit. Great to see another video from you. You are ready to take this one to your next open mic night.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic