Willie Nelson Always On My Mind by tacticaltal

tacticaltal

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I can't believe I uploaded this. I can't decide if it's my lack of playing and singing ability, or just the equipment I'm using, but this is bad. But, if I'm gonna get better, I'll just grin and bear it. Hope you can do something with this, Neil.

I tried to incorporate what you taught in your lesson, but I did add an Intro in there. There's another way to play the Intro, but it involves the bass strings, and isn't what Willie uses.

I hope you can make out enough from the audio and video quality to give some tips.

Terry

benfield113

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 am

Hi Terry,

Just been listening, ... and I thought that was pretty good. You kept the rhythm and timimg going through what was a pretty complicated introduction. And I liked the singing, you've got a good voice too.

Keep it up!

Andy

willem

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 am

tacticaltal wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I can't believe I uploaded this. I can't decide if it's my lack of playing and singing ability, or just the equipment I'm using, but this is bad. But, if I'm gonna get better, I'll just grin and bear it. Hope you can do something with this, Neil.

I tried to incorporate what you taught in your lesson, but I did add an Intro in there. There's another way to play the Intro, but it involves the bass strings, and isn't what Willie uses.

I hope you can make out enough from the audio and video quality to give some tips.

Terry

What is bad then Terry,,I found the singin great,,I found the guitar playing great,,the only thing that was a bit bad is the sound(or audio) from you guitar and ther you have just to do some more experimenting...the sound(or audio) from your voice was exellent..

Maybe I can help a bit 'cos I experiment also with getting good audio,,,

I record (film) with a high end logitech webcam (and remember the sound setting in the software,,cilck it off!! (rightsound)

On the same time I record also with a DAW (reaper,and its free on the net)

The mike I use is just the mike from my computer headset.. (in the software from your webcam you can see the mike also,,EXTERNAL MIKE... if not click on it,,make your choice EXTERNAL MIKE..

I also have a splitscreen then,,half webcam,,half reaper(or audacity)..

Cheers,,really well done,,you have only to work on the guitar audio..

Willem

PS ..Its not really necessary to use a DAW,,you can get a reasonable sound with just your webcam,,but the right settings..

willem

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 am

Hey Terry,

I thought you sing it very good too, the song really fits your voice!

As for the playing, you actually play it with a bit of a swingfeel, although not when you play the little basslines, so the timesignature is more a 6/8 instead of a 4/4. You know what I mean? I also kinda missed the double bassnote-strumming-pattern.

Oh one more request, next time please please please record wíth a face???? Please?? :)

Other than that, what feedback are you looking for? What's giving you troubles?

Ness

roberte29

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:30 am

Good Job, I've always liked that song and you did it justice.

BobR

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Terry,

I didn't think it was "bad" at all. Keep practicing and post your progress. Your vocal is really good.

Nicely done
Bob

dtaylor

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Nicely done, I love your voice, very well sung.

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 pm

hmm, looks like the video didn't play all the way. The actual length of the song was 4:13.

andy; Thanks for listening, and the nice compliments. i, too, thought it was fairly complicated song to play. I think I'm playing it a bit too slow, though.

willem: Your willingness to give these tips are awesome, and i appreciate it so much. I think i need to ditch the external mic, and just use the webcam, and/or Audacity. I'm also going to give Reaper a look-see.

i can't figure out how to get my headset to work (it, too, is a cheapie that came w/ the camera). I have a port on the front of my computer tower for the mic, but it doesn't seem to work; the headset works fine, however, for listening.

i did remember the setting for 'right Sound"; it is set to "off'.

vanessa: You're sweet as sugar, but I think D is a bit high for my voice.

Thanks for the advice, and what I wanted to to get some help on was the lead part (but the video cuts off at 3:, something, so I guess I can't get any help there). So, then, the time signature (I guess that's what it's called). You said that I was playing at 6/8 instead of 4/4, and I don't really know what that means. Is 6/8 slower than 4/4?

In summary, my troubles are finding the correct notes, in time, for the lead, AND the strumming seems off, to me.

You also mentioned "swingfeel". Is that on the strumming, and what does that mean?

Thanks for jumping in.

roberte, thank you. Willie has some incredible songs.

Bob, Thank you, I will keep practicing. I just can't hear what others hear in my voice, but thank you for the nice compliment.

dean: Thank you.

MarkM

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Killer voice Terry. Really well sung. I thought the playing was very nice as well. I'll have to go back and read through your recording set up posts and get a better idea as to what you have and what you can do with it. Can't tell if your computer mic was what you were using for your voice and guitar on this one. If you are using Reaper you can record two separte tracks at the same time as long as you have to mics. One for guitar and one for vocal.(you'll need an audio device like an M-Audio fastrack or something) From there you can cut the Video's audio out and use the .wav file from Reaper. Anyway I really enjoyed this song. Seems like it is right in your wheelhouse. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Thank you, Mark. I don't recall now, but I think I was using my external mic. I've downloaded Reaper, and am trying to figure out how to record with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic