Willie Nelson Always On My Mind by tacticaltal

tovo

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:15 pm

tacticaltal wrote:

I can't believe I uploaded this. I can't decide if it's my lack of playing and singing ability, or just the equipment I'm using, but this is bad.

Terry
If you really think that Terry then in my humble opinion you are dead wrong. Your voice is great for this tune. I would have preferred a slightly faster tempo for the tune, but that's not how you chose to play it and that's 100% your choice. It didn't stop me really enjoying it.

I can accept that you may not be entirely happy with your effort, we all tend to be much harder on ourselves than the community is overall, but I don't accept for a second that it is "bad".

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Terry, this turned out well-balanced, voice to music, so there's definitely no stage-hook coming to drag you away (were those hooks ever used seriously, not in a slapstick way ?)

The audio quality is a bit unclear for detecting if you are sometimes hesitating a bit, but your playing does sound pretty smooth.
I couldn't notice you going over your vocal range either ... so this I'm happy to tell you that you're mistaken: you sing this very well.

So, another song I'd now consider playing ... thanks :)

Pierre

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Tovo and Pierre, Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments, and the advice. I do agree that this could have gone a bit higher in tempo; I'll have to work on that a bit.

Thanks a bunch.

Terry

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:54 am

Nice job Terry. I find the really slow songs the most difficult to play and sing but you handled this admirably and your voice really suits the song... I like it real slow.
Chris

BobR

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:28 am

Terry, this is what I meant:

tacticaltal wrote:
vanessa: You're sweet as sugar, but I think D is a bit high for my voice.

Thanks for the advice, and what I wanted to to get some help on was the lead part (but the video cuts off at 3:, something, so I guess I can't get any help there). So, then, the time signature (I guess that's what it's called). You said that I was playing at 6/8 instead of 4/4, and I don't really know what that means. Is 6/8 slower than 4/4?

In summary, my troubles are finding the correct notes, in time, for the lead, AND the strumming seems off, to me.

You also mentioned "swingfeel". Is that on the strumming, and what does that mean?

Thanks for jumping in.

suziko

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Terry,

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. You aren't giving yourself nearly enough credit for your playing and singing! Your voice sounded so lovely and really suited this song. And your playing is very nice, too! All in all, I found this a really pleasant video to listen to! Well done you!!

Next time, though, let's see a face :)

Suzi

tacticaltal

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks Suzi,

I have a lot of trouble getting my camera on both face and guitar. The zoom control doesn't work too well, and if I sit back too far away, the cam mic won't pick me up.

I'll see what I can do tho. Appreciate the compliments.

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 am

really enjoyed this, terry.
you're on the right website to get your guitar playing to match your great voice.

thanks for sharing.

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:53 pm

You're welcome, Al, and thank YOU for your comment.

michelew

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey Terry,

That was really sweet. It's a beautiful song.

I also think you're being too hard on yourself. I suspect you're suffering from camera nerves affecting your playing, basically that you're not happy with the take because you know you can play it better. I liked the feel you've got going, maybe it's possible to combine the double bass note in with the lilting feel. But, the swing adds a nice ... Can't find the right word....emotion(?). But, the whole song still sounded good.

I LOVE your voice. Gosh what a gift you have there. It's so rich and full of feeling. It's like you're channelling Willie, but improving on his voice with the depth yours has. It's like a deep well of dark honey. You're a born crooner I'm guessing.

I get the video issues and I know you're trying to find a good set up. I do, however, also look forward to being able to hear you well and see your face.

Keep them coming. And definitely keep singing.

Shel

And Nessa - you're the sweetest, a natural born teacher. I swear I learn something every time I watch one of your demonstration videos, even when I already understand what you're explaining. It will help me explain it to others if I need to. Nicely explained.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic