Neil Young Needle and the Damage Done by tovo

cosmicmechanic

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Tony, good to see you posting. This is another of those songs I can "almost" play ...
One day I feel I can dance through the bass run, and the next day it's a stumble.

So, moral of story: it's a great song for developing some consistency on bass runs, without being too technically challenging.

Good going ! Be strong !
Pierre

tovo

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks Pierre, it really is that simple isn't it!? Just keep trying.

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 am

well this takes me back, tony! How long ago did we record that collab?

This song NEVER gets old for me and I'm glad to see you rocking your own version.

Thanks for sharing.

tovo

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Yeah Al it's going back a while now eh! I don't play it (or sing it) anywhere near as well as you do, but I do enjoy having a go it's a cracking tune and a nice distraction from the repetitive nature of my blues practice at the moment. Thanks for commenting mate.

Lavallee

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:03 am

Hi Tony, really enjoyed your post, you played and sang like if was a routine song, smooth strumming (thougth I agree with Matt about emphasing the swing time) . Thre is no tension in your playing.

Marc

BigBear

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:56 am

Tony- good job mate but you're missing (under emphasizing) both the high E and the F# that goes with it out of the D chord. Listen to the little vamp at the start again and you'll see why it doesn't sound quite right. Nothing bad, just not the Neil Young version.

The high E is kind of the return note to keep going back to. Everything plays off against that E.

Good luck buddy!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:32 am

Thanks Marc, I think I can improve with all the good advice.

Bear, thanks mate I'll do as you suggest and get it down a bit closer to how it should be played hopefully.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic