Neil Young Needle and the Damage Done by tovo

Hydroman52

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Tony,

Good job. I do agree with Mark, though. The hammer-on and slide seem to be a little bit rushed. The times that I saw Neil Young do this one in concert, he seemed to go into a trance and bang it out, but the hammer-on/slides are always slow and deliberate. Of course, the rest of the song is a little different every time he does it.

Practice this one up on the Taylor and then drop by a music store that has a Martin D-45 lying around and play it on that. You will go "Oh, man! That's the Neil Young sound!" It's a fun thing to do.

DISCLAIMER: Taylor owners, please don't pile on, I'm not slamming Taylor guitars here, there's just something about the D-45 that screams Neil Young when you play it. Or, maybe I'm just in a trance.

Thanks for uploading!

Tac,

Thanks for attaching the video. I see some subtle nuances there that I hadn't noticed before.

Hydroman52

suziko

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Hey Tony,

Nice to see you working on this song. I have always loved this song and it's got so many great "technique" bits in it that can translate well to other songs. You kept a nice tempo throughout and I think that C run sounds really good. Also thought your singing sounded nice and I'm glad you didn't try to sound like NY, but just sounded like Tony.

One thing, and this might be going along with what Ness is saying: on the very first measure, NY first hits a D chord but then it switches to a Dsus2. So you have a bass note, then that high F#, then a bass and an A, and then the high E is the melody note. It's very distinct part of the song and I'd like to hear that more clearly in your version.

Otherwise, nice job!!

Suzi

tovo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Hey Hydro thanks mate. I'll try it on the Martin when I get a chance. I for one didn't take any exception, Martin are great guitars. Thanks for the reinforcement on the hammer and slide, I'll keep working. Sometimes comes out great, other times not so much. Need more consistency.

Sue thanks heaps, very constructive comments and I'll pay attention. I very much agree that a lot of this song translates well to others in terms of technique. It's one of those "ticks in the box" for me, one of those songs I feel necessary to be able to play. Hey, enjoy your visit with your Sister!

BobR

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Tony,

I am a big Neil Young fan and I think you're doing this really well. I agree on getting more palm muting though.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

thereshopeyet

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Good Job Tovo
Cool playing and singing too :)

It's a great song.

Hopefully you didn't use too many needles when practicing it!!

Dermot

;)

tovo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Thank you Bob, I'll give the palm muting a try.

Dermot, no haven't had to resort to those measures just yet! Thanks for commenting.

schm040

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 am

Tony,

Thanks for uploading.

You asked for advice so..........take a look at your strum ups and downs. This song is in swing time. You might be strumming down on the last " one third" of the beat instead of up in some of the beats in each measure, especially the first beat.

Try strumming down on the beat and up on the "and" but remember its the last "one third" of the beat not the last half.

I watched Neil's version and he distinctly does what I described above and that is what gives the song the lilting feel.

Try it and thanks again.

Matt

michelew

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Hey Tony,

I don't have any advice. I've never tried this song.

It's good to see you uploading something in the review section. It sounds like a lot of tricky stuff in there and you seem to be progressing it pretty well.

I'm not much of a NY fan (yep sacraliege for TG ). He has some nice songs, but his voice .... But your upload has reminded me that there's lots to be learned from his songs and Sue likes him, so I may give him a look again.

That's for the inspiration.

Shel

jayswett

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Great job on this. I am glad to see people posting videos again.

tovo

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi Matt. I will have to revisit Neil's lesson and do further work on the strum. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Shel thanks mate. It's a tune that I couldn't play at all a while ago, in terms of having the accuracy to pick out the notes and keep the timing. Now I can at least play it. Plenty of work to do but thought it was not a bad idea to put up one for review and get some tips.

Thanks Jay, appreciate the comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic