Neil Young Needle and the Damage Done by tovo

tovo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:51 am

I did this tune once, except I didn't know how to play it and Al played it for me while I sang. I really felt that I needed to learn it and play it myself. I'm glad I have. It's a wonderful tune.

I really feel I need some help with it though. My impression is that I am a bit heavy on the strings. Having said that, I tried really lightening up and it just seemed to lose quite a bit. Perhaps I'm imagining things? Who knows? Well, you all probably do, I'd appreciate any advice. Sorry I'm stuck using my Mac camera, not the best solution but what I have at the moment.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tacticaltal

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 am

tovo, I'm not a big Neil Young fan, and I've never heard the song, but I caught his video on youtube, and it seems to me that he concentrates on the melody notes, while you get a lot of loud bass in your cover. Maybe try staying off the 5th and 6th strings a bit?

Neil's version:

daryl

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 am

Love this song! :cheer:

I don't think you're too heavy on the bass-strings, it's a matter of picking out the melody-notes, which you do a little more in this run during the C-chord. So work on that and you'll be fine Tony! :)

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:23 am

Hi Tony, very nice job, enjoyed that. i thought your timing was very even throughout. You are really making progress.

dtaylor

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 am

Nice performance Tony, good to see you with the acoustic in your hands again. Not easy doing a cover of someone with such a distinctive voice but you did it credit and made it yours.
Keep 'em coming, the site has sparked into life all of a sudden.

willem

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:49 am

Tony,,great tune/song and you inspire me to give it a look again and I really goin to use yours as an example,,hope the master comes in has well(our Neil)..

I wonder if we can make NY songs our own,,,well maybe not wondering any more 'cos I like what you did with the singin too..

Willem

buddy

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 am

Howdy Tony, To my ears this is the best work you have done on the acoustic guitar to date. I agree with Ness on just picking out the melody notes a little stroner which I think will require a little heavier work with the pick rather than lighter. Also, I really like your voice in this rendition, I have not heard you sing in a while and it was very relaxed with a very nice tone to your voice. Again, very well done.

Bud

MarkM

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 am

Tony,

I agree that its great to see you with that beautiful Taylor again. I love this song. I'll play this when ever I'm in a guitar shop or at someones house when I want to test out a guitar. You've got the timing down and all the notes. Your lyrical phrasing seemed to be right on the money. My only suggestion would be to bang on the strings a bit harder BUT do it while using palm muting. A difficult task for sure. Watch the timing when you do that hammer on and slide on the A string. I tend to have to concentrate on slowing that part down just a bit to keep it in time. Again I thought you did a really good job with this. Its a real hard song to perfect but you are well on your way. Can't wait to see more from you Tony. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

tovo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks Terry, I've been enjoying your videos a lot.

Ness thank you. I'll work on more distinctive picking. I'm LOVING those little videos you have been doing. I get a lot from them as I'm sure others do as well. Man, if Holland were a bit closer I'd be banging down your door for lessons!

Chris thanks mate.

Dean yeah good point. I think the key is not to try to emulate the original artist. There's only one Neil Young (and just between you and me I think it could be Al!)

Hey Willem thanks mate. Glad you liked that.

Thanks Bud. I am finding that my work on electric is still contributing to improvement on Acoustic. I guess time spent with a guitar in your hands, no matter what type, is all good! Thanks for the comment.

Hey Mark, yeah the palm muting is a technique that takes a lot of practice, but I don't mind that. Thanks a lot for taking the time.

Craig

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Tony,
Nice job. I love the song and thought you did it justice. I thought you did a nice job singing it as well. Tough getting through those melody notes clean everytime. Kind of a muscle memory thing with a lot of repetition on this one I think. Well done!

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic