Neil Young Mr. Soul by MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Re-visited this just now Mark and then listen to NY... you played it better! No one can emulate NY really but your solution with the reverb really worked. Hat off to you sir!

MarkM

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Nice to see all these nice comments after a long day of driving today.

Al - I know your a big fan and always think that I should just call you up and have you sing these songs. I really happy you like this one. Thanks!!

Marc - Ha! Serves you right not getting the heat down here in Atlanta if you don't call me......... Maybe next time. Thanks for watching I'm glad you liked it. I just had to use drednaught on this song. I do like the sound it makes in this tuning. Thanks again.

Dennis - Thanks for watching Dennis. I'm glad you liked it. I remember watching Neil do this on MTV or VH1 back in 1991 I think and when he played this song I thought it was just so cool and different from the original. I actually prefer this acoustic version. I just need to learn the harmonica now........You'll do a great job on this song. Its really not hard at all. I mean I can play it so................

Michele - Thank you very much Michele. The whole hook to this song is that riff on the E A and D strings. It took a few go throughs to get the timing right but one you've got it, it becomes second nature.

Dermot - Thank you for the nice words. The mic for the guitar is a Shure SM57 and the mic for the vocal track is a Sennheiser e835. Both less than $100 each. Nothing too fancy. The camera is a Cannon Vixia HG21 that I got a few years ago.

Chris - Wow!! Thanks for the kind words but I think you need to watch it again. I did the best I could but I'm not Neil Young. Yes reverb is my friend on this song. Thanks again.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Mark, your performance rekindles my hope that this tune will be in my own guitar survival kit, too.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I get a feeling that the vocal effect was flavored by Neil Young's more techno version on his "Trans" album.
Any truth to that (consciously or not) ? Also, fine strumming, of course.

Pierre

MarkM

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Mark, your performance rekindles my hope that this tune will be in my own guitar survival kit, too.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I get a feeling that the vocal effect was flavored by Neil Young's more techno version on his "Trans" album.
Any truth to that (consciously or not) ? Also, fine strumming, of course.

Pierre

Pierre - Thank you for watching and the nice words. Although Trans has some interesting artistic attributes I can't say that it is one of my favorites. Any relation to my poor vocals is totally happenstance and in the ear of the beholder................... I'd really like to see your version of this when you get it ready.

MarkM

suziko

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey Mark!

Sorry for getting to this so late. I haven't been so good these days about keeping up on commenting on videos. But I did really enjoy this upload. I'd never heard this song until Ness posted a version of herself kind of noodling around with the dropped-D tuning, which then motivated me to check out Neil's play thru of this song. I really love how your guitar accompaniment sounds in this song! Very, very cool. I'll admit I wasn't so sure about the reverb because I like hearing your regular voice. However, I don't even know what the original song sounds like, so maybe the reverb was a good choice. Everyone else seems to be giving it a thumbs up, so I'll chalk my own opinion up to ignorance! :)

Suzi

MarkM

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 am

Suzi,

Thank you so much for the nice words. I'm glad you liked the song. As for the reverb, I was just experimenting a bit on this song. Found a few more controls in Reaper and probably went a bit too far with it. Now if I can just find a button that give me perfect pitch I'll be all set.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

MarkM

suziko

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Now if I can just find a button that give me perfect pitch I'll be all set.

If you find it, Mark, please pass the info my way :)

Though, really, I think your singing has improved by leaps and bounds, which is why I would have preferred less reverb!! Anyway, singing aside, your playing was as solid as ever. I always enjoy seeing uploads from you!

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic