Beatles Here Comes The Sun by tacticaltal

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:06 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

This is me practicing the first part of the intro to HCTS. I've been at this for about a week now, and I'm still having trouble with thumb and finger placement.

I hope it's not too monotonous to watch all the way through.

Terry

dtaylor

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Nice work Terry, it's getting there.
I'd suggest just doing the D measures and concentrate on getting the alternating bass on the 4th and 3rd string down. Once your thumb has the pattern it'll be a doddle moving them to other strings on other chords but you need to have it nailed down on the D first (imho).

Keep up the good work, it's such a great tune.
Dean

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:58 pm

LOL, looks like I need to remain lying down in the chair to get it right.

Dean, thanks for the advice. I know I get impatient and want to go through more than I'm ready for. I'll take your advice right now.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:42 am

Hey Terry, I've been working on this on and off starting about early summer (6 months).
I decided this tune would be a gradual thing, not forced ... it makes us all smile, wouldn't want to ruin it by associating it with too much strain.

My own attention is on Neil's lesson using a pick. Since Neil has a couple different approaches to this tune, and you're into finger picking here, and show only a few bits of the puzzle, I'm not sure if you are following a particular lesson or something of of your own.

Nice to see your progress ... this tune is a joy to learn. So sweet, but with lots of underlying technique and coordination ... just keep it happy :)

Pierre

tacticaltal

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 am

Hey Pierre,

I'm working on Neil's Fingerpicking (non-instrumental) version, found here

I'm trying to keep it at an hour a day, in short 15-20 minute sessions, so as to not get burned out on it. I definitely know what you mean about not ruining it.

I thought it would be a good idea to upload some practice/learning clips as a way to show Neil (and you guys) where I'm having trouble. Kinda like an alternative to having him (and you-all along side me :)

Thanks for dropping in.

Terry

tacticaltal

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:56 am

PS) is it too monotonous?

cosmicmechanic

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:44 am

tacticaltal wrote:
PS) is it too monotonous?
Hell no.
Your post sent me looking for an inspiring upload of "Here Comes the Sun" that I remember, when TGers DennisG and Ddog met in days of yore (maybe like 3 yrs ago).

These guys actually got together and played this tune in a guitar store ...

I wish I could find a way to link you to that video ... that's the ORIGINAL TG SPIRIT !

But I couldn't find the video ... was great stuff !

I'd sure like to find the "DennisG-Ddog-HereComesTheSun" video so we all might enjoy it again !

Pierre

jayswett

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

Well Terry, you're well on your way and I'm sure you will get there! I missed your voice though, but I understand the concentrating on the guitar of course. ;)

I was wondering, do you ever look at the tab while playing?

Well I'd say, you should, at least at this point! :)

Ness

willem

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 am

Hi Terry,,I am glad you work on both versions ,,the fingerpickin and the strumming one,,

I hope you don't mind I put here your strumming one 'cos I like it..if you do mind then I delete it..

tacticaltal

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the inspiring words.

Willem, no problem...wish I'd have known about the time (or size) limit on the uploads before I put that up.

Vanessa, to finish your statement, "well on my way"... to throwing the guitar (and the monitor) out the window!!! :angry: ;)

I didn't have the tab sheet with me (was in the basement, where I practice), and I thought I could get by "with a little help from my friends", LOL.

BUT, I've tried everything I know... watch the tab, look at my right hand, left hand, look away, close my eyes.. it all fails!! :(

What I've seemed to notice, in this song, anyway, is that once the bass notes start, and I begin using my thumb, that I then can't control the thumb from continuing on with random bass notes, as if it decides it will do what it wants regardless of what I tell it to do. If you can look close, you can see the thumb just going wild as a hooligan as if it has been jailed for 40 years, and now it's experiencing unfettered freedom. Need to tame that sob, I think. :)

QUESTION: with melody notes, should we attempt to use the same finger for each note? That is, in "D", for instance, with thumb at D string, 1st, 2nd, 3rd fingers on strings 3, 2, 1, respectively, should I concentrate on using only the 1st finger for the 3rd (G-string), 2nd finger for the 2nd (B-string), and 3rd finger for the 1st (E) string? ANOTHER thing I notice is that sometimes, my fingers get out of order, and I'll use my 2nd finger on the 1st string, and sometimes, even my thumb (that untamed beast) gets down there.

terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic