Leo Kottke The Fisherman - Part 1 by thereshopeyet

buddy

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 am

Bonus points for taking this song on. Can't add to what was said except to give you encouragement to keep working on it and it will all click into place.

Bud

tombo1230

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Bob R Wrote:
I see very good advice here so I'll just say keep practicing and post your progress.
Thanks Bob.

Hopefully I'll improve enough to warrant a progress video.
I do think I'd be best to stick with Part 1 until I've got it right.

Dermot

Tovo Wrote:
I say great progress to date, of course there are issues but I really like how you are taking it slow. You have picked a really difficult number and I give you great kudos for the work you have put in to date. I look forward to the next update, I think your progress so far is terrific and shows a ton of work.
Thanks Tovo
Your words of encouragement are much appreciated.
I have spent a lot of time on it and do feel I've reached a dip in progressing with it.
What you see in the video is where I am today and have been for the last fortnight.
It would be great if I could just hammer it into my memory and practice it until
it's automatic but that doesn't come easy for me.
I'll keep chipping away at it though.
I hope Leo Kottke never sees how I've murdered his tune !
:blush: :S

Dermot
Hi Dermot,
maybe it's time to practice smart??? by that I mean take the first six bars as this I believe was your first stumbling point. You already can play the first four bars so you need to play those four bars or even just the last of the four bars into the problem section. So what you need to do imho is play bar 4 into bar 5 slowly until it is smooth. You can play bar four into the first hammer on then just keep adding notes until you can play bar 4 through bar 5 smoothly. by this I mean play bar 4 then keep repeatedly going into bar 5 but try to add a little bit more of bar 5 as you improve. Once you have mastered bars 4 to 5. play all five bars over and over, if it breaks down go back and practice bars 4 to 5 again. Walk through the tune in this way, bars 4 to 6 next etc and your rut will slowly disappear. just add a note at a time if need be. At the moment you have bits you can play and bits you can't. You need to put the effort now into the bits you can't play by isolating small bites at a time. I know this sounds tedious but it works. :) That's me done, I will go away and give you peace now. :)

Good luck!

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Tom

Thanks

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Buddy

Thanks for watching the video.

It's good of you to express encouragement.

Thanks

Dermot

tombo1230

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:06 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Tom

I hear what your saying.
Slow it down, start at the beginning, play as far as I can without making a mistake, add a little more, repeat process until familiar .
The process is one I tend to follow, although I may cheat myself a little ...and move on to soon out of enthusiasm !

I think I need a short rest from it too and return with a fresh head and outlook.
Then follow the process you mention more strictly.

Thanks

Dermot
Yes that's the way! good idea! Come back fresh, don't jump ahead. Only go forward when you can play the previous parts smoothly. This should spur you on to play it well before moving on. It all needs to be good! :)

Good luck!

Tom N.

haoli25

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Bravo, Dermot!! You have taken up the challenge of a very difficult song to play. Just keep at it, it will slowly come together for you. I think you are off to a great start. Thanks for sharing your video.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Bill Wrote:
Bravo, Dermot!! You have taken up the challenge of a very difficult song to play. Just keep at it, it will slowly come together for you. I think you are off to a great start. Thanks for sharing your video.
Thanks Bill,
I'll keep at it for sure !

:)

dennisg

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Dermot,

Good on ya for tackling a very, very difficult song and for giving it good ride. You've definitely got the guts of the song under control; now all that's left to do is the refinement. By the way, I loved hearing your Scots brogue.

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Denis Wrote:
Good on ya for tackling a very, very difficult song and for giving it good ride. You've definitely got the guts of the song under control; now all that's left to do is the refinement. By the way, I loved hearing your Scots brogue.
Thanks for your kind word Dennis.
I'll be sure to keep at it.

Dermot

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic