Leo Kottke The Fisherman - Part 1 by thereshopeyet

tombo1230

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Marc

Tom
I agree with you, the pausing is bad . In the end I just posted what came out. I'd say it's a realistic reflection of where I'm at though. Yes of course Tom, constructive criticism, your contribution is always appreciated, thanks. I do need to work on the pauses for sure.
I've spent some time on The Fisherman Part 1 and feel I'm a bit stuck in a rut also my memory gets in the way. If I could just commit it to memory I don't think I'd stumble as much.
GPro is a good idea which I'll give some thought but I'd be keen to understand how to do this with a regular metronome, gets me away from the PC if you know what I mean?

Dermot

:
Dermot, for normal metronome use, If you look at the tab/music then all of the notes on the base strings are the alternating thumb parts. These are the blips or lights on your metronome, the ones inbetween are the ands. So bar (1) is 1, 2, & 3 & 4 & .............. bars 2 to 6 have an extra and so are 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & So if you set your metronome to say 50 or 60 beats per min then each beat is a base note or a number if you like. This is the way I would do it. There are other ways to use the metronome but this is best for now. Gpro has a metronome built in, so as it hits a base note the click happens. The other method I hinted at would be to use a beat for every note, but I would stick with a blip sound on the 1 2 3 4 beats and no blips on the ands for now.

I hope this makes sense :) This is a tune that may take a long time for you to get up to speed as it is just so darn fast played to speed.

I would still recommend getting GPro if you can because it is such a valuable tool for learning guitar. For fingerpicking I always use it. You immediately get the correct musical rythmn from it even slowed down and you get to play along with it, instantly finding out if you are playing it properly or not.

I had no thoughts on learning this tune but was playing the first 6 bars today and it is a good piece for raising your skills on. B)

Tom N.

sbutler

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Good to see you again Dermot and how great to put up a video!! ;)

I see you already got lots of advice, so I'll leave it to that and Neil! :)

Thanks for sharing!

cheers

Ness

thereshopeyet

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Tom

I'll keep chipping away at it.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Hello Vanessa

Lots of interesting advice.

Thanks for acknowledging the video.

Dermot

BobR

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Dermot,

Wow, you picked a 9 :cheer: . I see very good advice here so I'll just say keep practicing and post your progress.

Bob

MarkM

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Dermot,

Wow you don't go for the easier ones that us mere mortals play do ya?? I'm very impressed with the song choice. You have plenty of advice here already. Keep going with it and I very much look forward to seeing your progression. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

tovo

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Dermot,

I say great progress to date, of course there are issues but I really like how you are taking it slow. You have picked a really difficult number and I give you great kudos for the work you have put in to date. I look forward to the next update, I think your progress so far is terrific and shows a ton of work.

tacticaltal

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:27 am

Now why would I do that???! Have I ever done ánything like that??

You got the wrong picture of me.... :(

My secret? Now do you réally want to hear/listen to that??

Indeed, I'll leave the advice to Neil, he's the authority here. :)

thereshopeyet wrote:
Your silence has me worried you have an opportunity to destroy me! :S

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 am

Vanessa

I appreciate your feedback.
It's misunderstood humor.

Thanks

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

Bob R Wrote:
I see very good advice here so I'll just say keep practicing and post your progress.
Thanks Bob.

Hopefully I'll improve enough to warrant a progress video.
I do think I'd be best to stick with Part 1 until I've got it right.

Dermot

Mark M Wrote:
Wow you don't go for the easier ones that us mere mortals play do ya?? I'm very impressed with the song choice. You have plenty of advice here already. Keep going with it and I very much look forward to seeing your progression. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Mark,
I do intend to keep this instrumental going as a long term project.
It's so easy to get distracted.

Dermot

Tovo Wrote:
I say great progress to date, of course there are issues but I really like how you are taking it slow. You have picked a really difficult number and I give you great kudos for the work you have put in to date. I look forward to the next update, I think your progress so far is terrific and shows a ton of work.
Thanks Tovo
Your words of encouragement are much appreciated.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic