Leo Kottke The Fisherman - Part 1 by thereshopeyet

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm

The Fisherman Part 1

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dtaylor

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Love to see you tackling a level 9 song Dermot, admire the hard work you've put in already.

My advice would be to look again at the timing of measure 5, with the double hammer-on with bass notes, as Neil said, it's the trickiest part of the thing. They're all 8th notes, you're coming in early with the first hammer-on. It should be on the 'and of 2`.

I'd isolate that measure and repeat it a hundred times because once you have the timing there the rest will fall into place. You seem to have a good handle on the rest.

I like that you're playing it slow, keep it that pace until you can get the transitions smooth, then think about speeding up.

Nice to see another vid from you.

Dean

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Dean

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thanks

Dermot

Lavallee

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Dermot, this is brilliant to post the song at this point. This is a difficult song, but it is important to have a challenging song in your repertoire, as whatever you will learn to master will be beneficial in other songs. In a few weeks you will see the improvement you have made and the video will serve as a benchmark.

Good work

Marc

tombo1230

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi Dermot, it started off well, or at least very fluent, then you stopped or paused. I don't know this tune, but for the first couple of bars it was musical to my ears. :)

The problem then imho is your stopping or added pauses. As soon as this happens the games a bogey as they say. :( The rythmn dies. :( along with the musicallity.

Maybe you should look at your approach to how you are learning. I would suggest that you never pause when playing, this goes for strumming as well. If you constantly do this you learn the song with pauses in it and then you are stuck with that for good.

In practice you need to loop the sections where you are pausing just before the pause and the bar after the pause. This can be reduced to just a few notes if need be. Do this using GuitarPro slowed right down and play along with it. If you can do this you will make good progress in my opinion, as I can see your fingerpicking has improved somewhat. B) You are probably on the verge of a breakthrough in your playing, but you need to throw out this bad habit of pausing, so that you can move on to the next level. :) (Smooth playing) There were several parts that sounded really good, it just needs to all join up. :) Please take this as constructive criticism. I am sure this is the way forward for you. I also realize this is a very tough tune to learn. :dry: :huh:

I look forward to your next upload of this tune. Keep at it. :)

Tom N.

sbutler

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Well my friend, it sounded just like me when I'm trying to learn something. Doctors practice Medicine, Lawyers practice law, and we are practicing how to play a guitar.
Certainly got a good start, just keep it up.

Scott

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am

Dermot, I don't know this song, so I Googled it, and found Leo on YouTube. This is a very difficult song, in my opinion. I really don't know how to help, cause I'm only just recently learning fingerpicking, but I think I noticed that perhaps a lot of the buzzing, and dead notes may be due to your thumb being curled behind your fingers, and Neil says to keep the thumb IN FRONT. I'm having problems with this advice of Neil's too, so we're in the same boat together. Maybe work on keeping the thumb in front of your fingers?

I also think the pauses are not good in the practices. If you have to pause in the middle of a measure due to mistakes, just soimply start back over from the beginning.

I sure hope my words are encouraging, and not taken badly.

Good for you on letting us hear the raw practice ! :BRAVO

michelew

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 am

HEy Dermot you made it and uploaded a video. Good for you mate. It's been a while. The more you do it the easier it becomes.

I agree with Tom. If you don't have them already, get Guitar Pro and/or the Amazing Slow Downer. I have them both and they are both crucial tools for my music learning. They will allow you to take a Guitar Pro file (which Neil provides for lessons) or a song from your music library and slow it down as much as you need to. Seriously you can slow it down so much that you'd be able to make a cup of tea in between each note. OK well maybe not that much but enough to think about what's coming and where your fingers need to be. You can also loop a small section and just play it and play it over and over again until its firmly under your fingers.

Bits of this were definitely sounding good. I haven't tried this song. Level 7 (maybe 8) is the highest level I've tried so far. It's good to have songs that challenge you, just make sure you're also playing and learning things that are within fairly easy reach too. I find if I pick too many hard things (well more than one of two really) then I get demotivated because I feel like I'll never be able to play and I start feeling like I can't play.

I'd like to see you post something that you're finding much easier as well. There's always something to learn, and as we've learned, there may be a better way of doing something that you think you've got tackled, that will help you with these hard songs in the longer run.

Great to see you posting. Make sure you investigate a program that will allow you to play against a song at slow speed.

Shel

willem

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 am

Hi Dermot,,YOU get really a WOW/BRAVO from me,why?? Well I am sure that fingerpickin is your thing and I find you can do it,,tackling such a tune or being busy with it that says a lot of what you really want,,,I am not familair with the song so I listen to the play/through by Neil and man is that a quick tune..

For me I must confess that i don't like it so much(the tune), its to quick and to many notes for my ears,,I also think when you get it all down on maybe half or 3/4 speed I sure gonna like the tune and think there are many beautifull notes in it..

I think you get a review and all whats Neil is going to say is a bout the pauses you took and how to deal with it.I guess,,

I would love to see or hear what this practice brings you on other fingerpickin tunes...

When I observe you I guess you where sight/reading has well and thats a good thing,,the more you do that the easer it gets..sometimes I try to play out memory and then I suck,,then I look at the tab and play and it goes better..

I really liked how it sounds when you fingerpick,,maybe you can study how you do that(with long fingers or more crawled fingers),,crawled is better I think,

Of course we don't wanna make pauses in our playing but we also wanna be a bit comfort on what is goin on in the measers..

May I be proud for you?? YES..

Keep PLAYING..ON AND ON :woohoo: :woohoo: B)

Willem

EDIT: what I noticed and I get that advice once too,,you swing your guitar to much(it must be tight against your body) and your thumb dissaperas everytime into your hand/palm,,its more like holding a clawhamer (but I don't know how you!! hold one),,lets say make a long thumb..

thereshopeyet

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am

Marc
Thanks for commenting.

Dermot

Tom

Thanks for your comments.

Scott
Thanks, for the comment and practice, practice, practice , perseverance and time.
Dermot

Terry
Thanks.

Dermot

Michelle

I kept my promise, not before time eh?
I have the software and will consider it, thanks.
When I pick up the guitar I like to get away from the PC, if you know what I mean.
I suppose like everything, I could allocate a time limit to practicing with the software.
It sure food for thought.

Dermot

Willem
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
;)

You Wrote
For me I must confess that I don't like it so much (the tune), its to quick and to many notes for my ears.
I was a little like that when I first heard the tune Willem but it's grown on me, if you know what I mean. I too think when too fast it loses something, sort of all blends together.

I'd only look at the speed thing is a challenge I think only exceptional musicians with unique style really get away with it.
It would be interesting what others think about that ?

I'll stop swinging the guitar too.

Thanks.
Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic