Still The Same - Bob Seger Upload For Review by thereshopeyet

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Hey Dermot it's great to see you uploading a video for review.

You're doing really well the biggest thing I can hear is that you're often stopping before you make a chord change. Each time you do that it's a jolt for the listener. As Ness said in response to a recent question you posted, 'timing is everything'. I have a couple of suggestions:

- slow it down to a more comfortable speed, this song is generally played at a more relaxed tempo anyway I think

- sacrifice a strum so you can change the chord at the right time. Neil talks about this in his strumming videos somewhere.

- perhaps lighten your strum a little

- practice against a slowed down version of the song and focus on changing chords at the right point in the song (stop strumming early enough to give yourself enough time to land and play the chord at the right time). Slow it down enough that you can make the change without having to stop. You'll feel more relaxed and it will feel more musical.

The other things you're doing sound good. You just need to change chords at the right time, then it will sound great. :) :)

It's GREAT to see this. Keep it up and repost it once you've incorporated any advice from Neil and TG members.

Thanks for the peek.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Michelle

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dermot

tombo1230

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm

This is probably your best video yet Dermot, some good chord changes in there. Michelle has said it all. Don't stop!

If you practice the song with stops in it you will learn it permanently like this. Your brain will think this is how it goes.

The chord changes you are stuck on, practice them slowly and get them fluent slowly, then when good slow, they will speed up clean.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 am

Shel and Tom are quite right Dermot!

You actually strum this song quite well and consistent, but you let your left hand run the show (like Tom says, you've allowed your brain to think that this is okay). It should be the right hand, that one is the boss (metronome). Neil already explains this very well in the AGS and also how important it is, he calls it the 'golden fleece(?) of guitarplaying', so you better check out this link. Part 29, he gets to this specifically at 03.23 http://www.totallyguitars.com/free-guit ... ssons#song

No matter what you play or practice, or how slow or how fast, do it IN TIME!!

Ness

michelew

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 am

Too cool. Link straight to the right lesson and time.

Dermot - I'm sorry when I said 'stop strumming', I actually meant stop hitting the strings. The right hand of course keeps going, even though you may not be making a sound. Sorry for the confusion.

But, watch Neil's lessons as suggested. It's all there of course. :)

And I still have three words for you check out the Amazing Slow Downer (ok 6). It's available for PC too. Guitar Pro is great, but I find playing against a slowed down version of the original track even better, because it doesn't sounds so mechanical and you can use any song in your library, not just the ones you have GP files for. It's technology that with WILL help rather than be a distraction.

And EVERYONE plays better when the camera is NOT rolling. Nerves suck! :)

Have fun

Shel

thereshopeyet

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 am

Tom

Thanks for your comments.

Vanessa Wrote:
No matter what you play or practice, or how slow or how fast, do it IN TIME!!
Vanessa
I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the link and lesson reminder Vanessa.
I'll take a look.

Dermot

willem

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 am

That was great Dermot,I think your aware of the stops and you gave your self some time to get the other chord but you kept going,I think the singer as to hold a note a bit longer..lol
I love this improvement.

Willem

EDIT: second time around,,still love it,, I wonder!!! Neil said on the last up let the finger of the strings and go to the other chord...in the past I had some trouble doing this and then I started to count 1-2&3&4&(in dutch of course, we have 1-2en-3en4en) in first I really did'nt count very well too(yeah thats possible too),,hope it will help you too,,I know this song has embellisments and you must think of them too while playing but maybe try to strum the chords without them and do the counting thing.. succes..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 am

Hey Dermot, great to see this upload! Its a great song... you must have had your mic turned off 'cuase I couldn't hear you singing ;). No, seriously, this is going places and I thought your right hand was doing a great job on the strum and the sound was good 'n' rich. You have good advice from Michele and Nesh already and I hope Neil jumps in too. I think you are at a stage with this song where you could practice something else and it will help you play it better... anything where you have to be in time and mad smooth chord changes... the more the merrier... then come back to this song with the aim of letting the right hand keep the beat and move the left fingers by closing your eyes and making the leap come what may ... as long as its in time with your right.

Well done and have fun putting the finishing touches to it real soon!

PS: Looks like you recorded this in the 50's or 60's ...which would be way before its original release! :P

suziko

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 am

Hey Dermot,

Nice job! The best advice has been given to you. Don't stop strumming!! Otherwise I thought this sounded quite good! Nice to see you uploading again, though I missed your usual intro. I always love hearing your accent!

Suzi

EDIT:

Also, Neil's bass run: As far as I can tell, he's playing first the low G (sixth string), then the F on the 4th string, E on the 4th and open D, then hitting the C for the C chord.

Something like:

G du F du E du D du

He's not playing his usual G fingering (2,3,4), which would make getting at the F tricky cos then you have to take your pinky off the high G. Instead, he's fretting the chord with 1,2 and 4, leaving his 3rd finger free to play the F. Hope that helps!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic