Still The Same - Bob Seger Upload For Review by thereshopeyet

dennisg

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 am

Dermot,

Well, you don't post videos very often, but I really enjoy the ones you do upload. Despite your admission of camera jitters, your strumming looks confident and consistent.

My first suggestion has already been mentioned several times: slow the whole song down until you can make those chord changes comfortably, effortlessly, and in tempo. Only then speed the song up. If you can't play in tempo, you're not playing -- which is especially true if you play with other people.

The second suggestion is to quit hitting all six strings on every strum. Lighten up your picking hand, use a couple strokes on treble strings, then a couple on the bass strings. Not in every measure, necessarily, but often enough to give your strumming some variety. You could also think about some bass runs, but that's another kettle of haggis.

But I'm really impressed by what you've accomplished so far. Keep at it, Dermot.

tombo1230

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Tom Wrote:
If you practice the song with stops in it you will learn it permanently like this. Your brain will think this is how it goes.
Hi Tom
I posted this video as is with no editing as a landmark of error.
I normally play this a good bit slower but gee.. when the camera goes on I can't help but want it over :)
That thing in me say here comes the of that chord change.
I think I've also been practicing this too long so becoming sloppy.

Dermot
I get what you mean, most people get nerves in front of the camera Dermot, it comes with the territory. :S

What I can see and you say it here yourself is, I can see you anticipating the failure of landing the chord clean. You just have to make the leap of faith on that one as Dennis says.

If you slow it to a walking pace then the chord change will be successful. This will train your brain on how it should go when speeded up.

You have to be in time as Ness says and the speed you do it at is the speed that you can successfuly change the chord, no faster.

This is a common problem Dermot and you have to drop the bad habit, easier said than done maybe, but when you do you will go on and get to a new level of ability and wonder why you ever did it in the first place. :)

Good luck! You can do it!

Tom N.

tovo

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey Dermot,

Good stuff mate, plenty of progress to be seen.

In your video, right toward the end, you requested help with your changes. If I may, I have a drill for you that is about as simple as it gets but I believe would help you enormously. It's called "1 minute changes". Simply, take a change you are having difficulty with such as G to F. Practice that G to F and back again over and over and over. See how many times you can make the change in 1 minute, while concentrating on playing it clean. Do it every day and watch your count go up. Be sure to place as much emphasis on playing it clean as you do on the number of times you can do it in a minute. It helped me a lot and I'm sure it can help you.

The camera thing is common for just about everyone. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Keep doing it!

thereshopeyet

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Willem
Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
Thanks for commenting
Much appreciated.
Dermot

Suziko
Thanks for the confirmation of the bass run.
That's what I worked out too but can only play it slowly.
In the video I messed it up. When I play it slowly I anchor my little finger but I just drove over it in the video.
I notice that about the fingering of the G too, but it's only when Neil's playing the bass run. The problem I have is picking accuracy when I speed it up. It may be that I'm too heavy handed with it as I feel I don't quite create the run sound as Neil does.

Oh sorry about that omission at the beginning of the video.
It won't happen again!
The post attachment's for you !!!
:ohmy:

Dennis
Gosh, you like my videos, thanks, hopefully they will get better.

I'll take you suggestions on board, slow, strumming variety.

Tom
Thanks for the good luck wish too.

Tovo
I'll try that 1 minute exercise.
Thanks.

Dermot
[file name=Suzi's_Apology.zip size=332155]http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... pology.zip[/file]

Craig

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Dermot,
Your best effort to date! Way to go. You've already received great advice from the other members so I just wanted to say nice job and keep up the good work!

Craig

suziko

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks again for the word of encouragement.
The post attachment's for you !!!

I loved it!!! :) Thank you!

I found the bass run pretty tricky to execute too. But it does sound cool and it'd be worth putting the effort into learning. Keep up the good work, Dermot! You're doing a great job!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm

hello Suzi

I agree the bass run is a worthwhile addition.
I'll keep at it for sure.
Thanks
Dermot

buddy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Dermot, Can't add to the already good advice you have received so for and I do agree that this is your best upload to date. To me good guitar playing is like good sex, the less I think about it, and get lost in the moment, the better it is.

tovo

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:30 pm

buddy wrote:
To me good guitar playing is like good sex, the less I think about it, and get lost in the moment, the better it is.
That's awesome advice. I might try combining the 2 activities. (Using only the guitar)

dennisg

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 pm

buddy wrote:
To me good guitar playing is like good sex, the less I think about it, and get lost in the moment, the better it is.
I think this is very sound advice. The only thing I'd add to what Buddy said is that I'd try doing it with a partner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic