Still The Same - Bob Seger Upload For Review by thereshopeyet

BobR

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Dermot,

As others have said timing is key. It sounds like you have all the parts now you just need to keep it going. I think this was the first song I posted and I got real good advice from AcousticAl in the verse coming from the Dm to the G doing a bass walkdown on the D string (F) (E) (D). I also tried just strumming G- G7-G6-G. Using Neils preferred G fingering it is real easy.

Keep up the good work

Bob

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 am

Buddy
Relax in the moment and just strum sounds like good advice.

Sounds like good advise.
I'll work on it.

Tovo

So GP 6 it is then.

BobR
I never considered a chord walk down, that's a good idea, thanks and another variable that would ad variety.
Thanks Bob.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dermot

cosmicmechanic

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 am

Dermot, all I can add is ... we all hold our guitars against our [strike]breasts[/strike] (oooh ! censored) chests, or of course, our bodies.

So follow all the great advice you have received so far ... and maybe also try listening with your chest, "hearing" through your upper body ?
I feel that might help to slow things down or round them out.

Pierre

tacticaltal

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 am

Dermot,

This was a good upload. I agree with all the advice already given, with another added. You looked quite intense, and determined, and that's a good thing, but I also saw frustration setting in, and I know it's the camera thing. Try and just relax.

I'd like to add that you should practice those difficult chord changes, like the G to F. Maybe do them in sessions of 10-15 minutes, and how ever many times a day you feel like doing them, but don't tire yourself out on it.

One thing you mentioned was that maybe you practiced the song too much. That may be true. If you have a difficult song, and you've been fretting (pardon the pun) over it for sometime, put it away and do something else for a couple days. Otherwise, you can burnout on a really good song. I remember doing that with a song (Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stephens version) when I was young. I practiced that darn thing for hours on end, and after a couple weeks, I finally got it, and haven't played it since. Don't let that happen to you.

Keep posting, Dermot, and we'll help you along.

Terry

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Pierre
You may be right..... I don't hug my guitar enough so it doesn't perform for me !!
Food for though.... thanks.
:ohmy:

Terry

Yes, I will continue to work on the chord changes.

You Wrote:
I practiced that darn thing for hours on end, and after a couple weeks, I finally got it, and haven't played it since. Don't let that happen to you.
Sure, I am definitely feeling a little frustrated as I feel close but don't know how close because I've never completed a song before. So it's still very much a learning curve where I don't know what to expect (if you know what I mean :S ).

You are spot on I don't want to spoil songs for myself either where I no longer want to play a great song.

Great comments from both of you

Thanks

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic