The Band The Weight by tovo

tovo

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Love this tune. I played with the opening lead a bit and decided I really liked the hammer-ons so I went with that. Not exactly what Neil taught in the lesson but I'm trying it out.

The rest is another effort to be more engaged and spend less time staring at my hands. I feel I have a reasonable balance here between engagement and making sure I put my fingers down in the right fret!

Very open to comments and suggestions.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

buddy

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Tony, Nice to see you playing that acoustic guitar again. This is a very good song for you. It really suits your voice really well. I think the blues playing is really helping your acoustic playing as well. Nice job amigo !

Bud

BobR

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Tony,

I really like that song as well and I think you did a fine job. As Buddy said it suits your voice really well and I see you're spending more time engaging the audience.

Thanks for posting

Bob

michelew

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 am

Well that's engaging with a capital E. I love seeing you get into songs with this much feeling This performance is full of attitude and you're absolutely present, no doubt about that.

I look forward to hearing Neil's advice.

Keep them coming.

L

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:31 am

Hey Toni, really good job! Lots of good things happening there and the way you tell the tale is very engaging so you certainly have reached your goal in this video. I was impressed with the fluidity and and your finger work and a much improved touch on the right hand. Only goes to show what constant practice can do for you! Good show!

mark

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am

Hi tony
I love that song as well. Like others have said I think it suits your voice well.

For the intro, it gets it distinctive sound by getting an additional one
Or two notes In addition to the main note. So you are mainly playing double stops.

It sounded to me as if you we're playing mainly single notes

tovo

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks Buddy and thanks Bob, appreciate the comment from you both.

Hey Shel, thanks for that. Trying hard to be more animated and engaged. It has the benefit of helping confidence and taking the focus away from worrying about a clanger. Not saying they don't still happen, but this approach helps.

Hey Chris that's very good feedback, thank you for that. Jolly good old chap!

Mark, thanks for that excellent advice on the lead. Indeed, I am playing single notes and I'll go back and copy what Neil has, for a good reason no doubt! I'm sure that if he does get around to reviewing this he will sort me out quick smart!

willem

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 am

Hey TONY,,What your doing?? coming out the engaging closet? man I love it what you were doing and you sure inspired me to go back on this tune, I sure did it ones cos I've seen all the lessons ones and this is such a great song..WOW distracted I am..NO I stay on my own shedule but when I am sick of it I know were to go..Man that was fun..and suprising,

Willem

dtaylor

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am

The song's right in your wheelhouse Tony, comfortable for you to sing and you're playing great. Really like that.

MarkM

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Tony,

Great to see you take this song on. It suits you very well. I noticed you picked the tougher key of A to play this in. (Well tougher for me anyway). I find it much easier to play and sing in the key of G. Neil goes through both keys in his lesson I believe. This is such a fun song to play. You are making great progress so far. Nice even strumming. Check out the playing this in G. Maybe it will come easier as it did for me. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic