The Band The Weight by tovo

suziko

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Wow, Tony, you really stepped it up on this one! I don't know if you EVER looked at your hands the entire song. You definitely engaged with the camera. In fact, I thought you might lean in for a kiss right near the beginning :) I loved it! That was probably your most fun video yet and I also thought your singing and playing was really nice. I very much enjoyed watching that!!

Suzi

tovo

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey Stuart, look forward to your demo mate. I can imagine there is much more scope to add some nice embellishments. I was keen to play the tune in the original key. Perhaps a 2nd guitar (yours) could add those embellishments on?

Suzi thanks for those very generous comments. I WAS leaning in for a kiss...did I get one? :kiss: Seriously, you brought a smile to my face.

Lavallee

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Fantastic Tony, your interaction with the camera makes your song so interesting. It is really a story telling with a music background. When you decide to learn something, no wall is high enough. You strumming sound level is very well balanced. Even if so a few chords are muffled a bit (quite good considering that you barely look at your left hand), to focus is on the signing.

Enjoyed it a lot

Marc

Craig

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Tony,
Nice job on this. Your singing has become so confident over the years, it has been really enjoyable to watch your progress. Your playing was solid, especially considering your concentration on engaging the camera. I've always liked this song as well. I tried it quite awhile ago but couldn't get the intro to my liking, so I put it aside. I like what you have done with the intro. Well done. You are steadily turning into a performer.

Craig

tovo

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Marc thanks my friend. I'm so glad you liked this effort, I look forward to seeing you again in 2014!

Craig thanks mate that's a very generous comment. This guitar journey is a lifelong one of learning new things and I'm very grateful for all the lessons I have gotten from this community.

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 am

Great job Tony. "The Weight" is one of my all time, deep in my soul, bound to my memory of younger days. Almost forty years ago saw The Band perform it when they toured with Bob Dylan. The intro blues phrase of the song always stumped me as to how to play it. I recently listened to it with a slow down audio program to figure it out. It is a little hammer on and pull off pentatonic musical figure. I think the recording is only one way to do it. I think it got played a little different each time The Band performed it.

I really like your soulful singing. You should be singing and performing for people if you are not already doing so.

tovo

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey Wally, I am singing for people...you people! :-) I know what you mean of course. I'm happy right now just to be consolidating and improving. You're one lucky dude to have seen The Band and Dylan. That would have been a great experience. There was something about their style that really grabbed me.

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Let me add to the chorus..
Great playing and vocals, Tony.

You've obviously broken down the barrier to your audience and your performance is all the better for it.

I still don't really engage the camera/audience-- partly because I'm still very dependent on either the lyrics or chords of whatever I'm playing.

New years' resolution?
Maybe.

Cheers!

tovo

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey Al. Thanks for commenting. Where have you been? You are missed here. I can't believe that you would have any trouble doing what I'm doing in this video. You're a very good player indeed. I look forward to your next video which will prove that point once again, and with luck Helen will sing on it. Cheers mate, hope you had a good Christmas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic