The Band The Weight by tovo

dennisg

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Man, never let it be said that you don't take input to heart! You went beyond engaging us, all the way to seduction! Fantastic job on this sweet song, Tony, and if you could bottle this performance, you'd have a winner at any open-mic.

RicksPick

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi Tony
Simply BRILL
Enjoyed singing wth you
Thought you were singing to me sexy, lol
Nice balance with eye contact
And playing and singing good as ever

RicksPick

tombo1230

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Well your vid made me smile for sure!! :) :) :cheer:

You're doing a gréat job balancing the engaging thing and the not looking at your left hand too much! I think I even saw a tiny bit of a smile at one point. That's actually the only thing that I would love to see next. I realised that I have never ever seen you smile or laugh! :)

Really proud of you!! :kiss:

Ness

tovo

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Willem I'm not coming out of the closet any time soon....that would make a few of my friends (including one in Sydney and one in Holland) sit up and take notice!! :) Glad you were surprised man. Thanks for the comment my friend.

Dean cheers mate, appreciate your comment.

Mark, I felt the original key was better for me. I always like to play in the original if I can handle it as I get more satisfaction from doing that. I don't feel at all bothered by the barres so I went for it. Thanks for commenting on the strumming. I have felt for a long time that my strum is kinda jarring, so I'd like to think there's improvement there. I have learned from comments that I have to pay MUCH more attention to hitting correct bass strings.

Den thanks for that uplifting comment. I recall being surprised when you told me you like this tune, glad that I don't appear to have ruined it for you! Much appreciated mate.

Rick, very generous comments mate thanks.

Ness, very happy to make you smile. You make me smile all the time. (On the inside) Yeah I must say that smiling broadly doesn't come naturally to me, so I will continue to work on that. Your encouragement together with other long time friends here is really very much appreciated. Thanks sincerely.

sws626

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey Tony,

Great job. I just stumbled upon your post over on the YouTube channel and had to stop in to thank you for it. I love this song and you clearly do too. I've been working on it a little bit, but not enough to ever remember the lyrics. It was nice to see you perform for the camera. If I had just one (okay, maybe two) suggestion(s) it would be to slow down just a little bit so we can savour it, especially in the intro and chorus, and to let the guitar play the harmony parts over a sustained "and" from your voice, if that makes sense.

Stuart

p.s. Just 'cause I don't log in much anymore don't think I don't love keeping an ear open for you all.

jayswett

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 pm

That was great, Tony. Would love to play that with you in Seattle in summer 2014.

tovo

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey Stuart, a lovely surprise to hear from you, and thanks for your suggestions, both of which make a lot of sense to me. Cheers.

You're on Jay. If you are going to be there I'm pretty confident I will be as well. You're one of several TGers I would dearly love to meet in person. Thanks for the comment mate.

willem

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

tovo wrote:
Willem I'm not coming out of the closet any time soon....that would make a few of my friends (including one in Sydney and one in Holland) sit up and take notice!! :) Glad you were surprised man. Thanks for the comment my friend.

Dean cheers mate, appreciate your comment.

Mark, I felt the original key was better for me. I always like to play in the original if I can handle it as I get more satisfaction from doing that. I don't feel at all bothered by the barres so I went for it. Thanks for commenting on the strumming. I have felt for a long time that my strum is kinda jarring, so I'd like to think there's improvement there. I have learned from comments that I have to pay MUCH more attention to hitting correct bass strings.

Den thanks for that uplifting comment. I recall being surprised when you told me you like this tune, glad that I don't appear to have ruined it for you! Much appreciated mate.

Rick, very generous comments mate thanks.

Ness, very happy to make you smile. You make me smile all the time. (On the inside) Yeah I must say that smiling broadly doesn't come naturally to me, so I will continue to work on that. Your encouragement together with other long time friends here is really very much appreciated. Thanks sincerely.

Well Tony I had a big laugh cos I made a very big mistake not gonna say sorry cos its funny,,I mend coming out of the entertainment closet.. :laugh: B)

Sometimes I think I know the translation of an word but I did'nt I guess.. engaged or entertaining that are two diffrent thinks..

Willem

tovo

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Willem I had a laugh as well. I don't have any hangups in that regard mate so we can laugh together!

sws626

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Another quick thought, Tony... You play the A C D progression in the verse as barre chords, which sound fine as far as it goes, but limits some really nice embellishments you could add if you played the A and D open. For example, at the end of some verse on some recordings you'll hear a quick little hammer on/pull off of A to Asus4. Hard to explain, if you haven't heard it, but really pulls the song along. If I can ever memorise the lyrics, I'll show you what I mean.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic