JS Bach Gavotte II en Rondo by kelemenj

kelemenj

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Here is the second Gavotte from the same lute suite. I think this may have been a violin piece as well. I'm not sure. They are meant to be played in order with a run through of Gavotte 1 at the end without repeats. That is about 5 minutes of intensive guitar picking that I need to work up to.
John

willem

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:21 pm

That Bach has great music,,did you learn that from tab or standard notation? Did Bach played a guitar?

kelemenj

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Willem,
That piece is from a 'lute suite'. You can see Neil play a lute somewhere in the 'Bouree in Em' lesson. He plays a little of Gavotte 1. I don't think the guitar as we know it even existed at the time of Bach. This was from standard notation which in this case is preferable. I say this because there are at least 2 sometimes 3 ways to play the same phrases depending on string and position. So why take orders from tabs that provide only 1 way to play something?
John

mark

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am

Very nice John! A lullaby for your dog, cute! ;) :P

No, you played it well, just keep trying to not cut off notes here and there. I know it's not easy at this speed, but it's just something that needs attention áll the time.

cheers

Ness

willem

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

kelemenj wrote:
Willem,
That piece is from a 'lute suite'. You can see Neil play a lute somewhere in the 'Bouree in Em' lesson. He plays a little of Gavotte 1. I don't think the guitar as we know it even existed at the time of Bach. This was from standard notation which in this case is preferable. I say this because there are at least 2 sometimes 3 ways to play the same phrases depending on string and position. So why take orders from tabs that provide only 1 way to play something?John

AH,I think I understand what you were saying,,,not making big jumps over the fretboard for the same thing... I would be nice to have some lessons here on that matter,,,in the mean time I can only try to think a bout it and study it a bit on my own,,thx

Willem

kelemenj

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 am

Ness,
Thank you. It means alot coming from you. I was in a little over my head with that one. I think it's time to work on some etudes for right hand development.
Regards,
John

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am

Very impressed!
Great dexterity and playing in general.

Thanks for sharing.

kelemenj

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks Al,
I appreciate your comment.
John

tvarga

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:56 pm

John, I am seriously impressed.
You seem to be quite prolific! Are you learning a song like that in about a week?
I've been working about 2 weeks on Bach's prelude in dm that you introduced us to.
I'm getting close, but only because it's been the only thing I've been playing. :)
-Tom

kelemenj

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Tom,
Thank you. I am glad to learn that you are working on the Dm prelude. I found it to be more difficult than I first anticipated. Tackling advanced pieces has improved my playing in general. Looking forward to seeing your upload of it. I myself am a little Bach'ed out at the present time.
Best of luck,
John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic