Extreme More Than Words by michelew

michelew

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 am

Hi TG-ers,

It’s been a while since I’ve put something up for review. This is something I’ve been working on for quite a while and it’s probably as good as it will get in front of the camera for the moment.

I welcome any advice you have for me, seriously; well except asking me whether I’ve considered joining TV is sort of obvious. :)

On watching this I realised that my hits peter out after a reasonable start, I found that they were better when I strike the top of the sound hole (nearest the nut). So that’s something I’ll definitely be conscious of. I know I need to keep working on the transitions to the Cm and the Bm as well, I find it hard to land them cleanly in front of the camera and I need to work out a better cue for changing the fingering for the A7 so that I can play the diminished chord (which I love).

I’m playing against the album slowed down because I can’t play and sing it yet, and I find that I get lost and distracted without the words.

OK. that’s it.

Thanks.

Shel

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

BobR

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 am

Hi Shel,

I just got out of work and as usual I go to TG.Nice to see your post. I don't have advice to offer I just enjoyed your performance. It sounds like you know what you think needs work , although I thought your transitions were done rather well. I thought the percussive strum sounded real good too. Keep up the good work

Thanks for posting
Bob

willem

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 am

Yeah WOW,,If I could do it like you did I was very happy,,I think it just as to age on yah,,

Willem

michelew

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:51 am

You can be very very proud here Shel! Gosh, I know you've put quite some work in it and it's paying off big time!!!

The main lesson in this song is the percussive strumming thing, you've got that down very well, many kudos for that!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

The little thingies, landing on certain chords, well I can't say that it was obvious, so don't worry about it, just keep playing it. It'll smoothen out! ;)

Very VERY GREAT job Shel!! :) B) :) :) Proud of you!!!

Nessa

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 am

Hi Shell, great job! You are looking very comfortable in your recording studio and your playing sounded really good and the sound quality was excellent. I can hear that lots of hard work has gone into that. I think you're having fun laying down the separate tracks so it comes over really well. I think you must be very close to being able to play and sing it in one go... that would be very cool to play live (I can also imagine getting lost playing it without singing it).

Over here, that song got played to death so I can hardly listen to it these days (same with 4non Blonds and What's Going On) but I made the sacrifice for you and really enjoyed it!

dennisg

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 am

I know that smile at the end. It's the smile that says, "Whew! I can't believe I got through this mutha!"

In your long history of posting videos that both impress and delight me, this just may be the most impressive and delightful. You've got this very demanding song totally under control, and you can feel great about your accomplishment. There are a lot of stops and starts in this tune, and it would be easy to wander off tempo, but you held it together beautifully. And the chords you said you had trouble landing -- the Bm and Cm -- it looked to me like you breezed right through them without a trace of panic.

Aside from what I see as your technical virtuosity, this is by far the most relaxed I've ever seen you, even allowing your hand to dangle from the wrist when at rest. Your apparent relaxation is ironic, considering the difficulty of the song and the amount of energy you have invested in it.

Keep practicing it. We'll sing it together at guitar camp.

suziko

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 am

Hey Shel,

I have to agree with everyone else here. You did a GREAT job on this song. It's clear you've put a lot of time and effort into it, and it shows with your mastery of that percussive strum, plenty of difficult transitions, and keeping the tempo on a not-straightforward song. The vocals, too: wow!! That is a really hard song to sing! But I thought you did a great job, really nailing those high notes. I also thought you looked quite relaxed and comfortable both playing and singing. I don't have any recommendations for you- though I'll look forward to hearing what Neil has to say.

I'm really proud of you, Shel!! Well done!!

Suzi

NKenny

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 am

I thought it was very good all around ,great guitar playing

Kenny

buddy

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am

Shel, Really wonderful job on this tune. The playing and string rap is not an easy thing to do and you really nailed it.

Bud

sbutler

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Well I'm a fan. Singing that song requires being able to cover a big range and you did it. I love that song, and the first thing that hit me just a few seconds into your video, was that it was instantly recognizable as "More than Words" No guess work needed. Yeah it was a little slow, so what. You did good Michele.

Thanks,

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic