Extreme More Than Words by michelew

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Great job, Michele.

I tried to play along but seems you tuned down.

Smart- as it's a tough/high song to sing.

Craig

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Michelle,
Great job! I think you already know what you want to work on. Not an easy song to play and you did very well. I thought your singing was solid also. You hit some tough notes in there! Way to go! You should be very proud of yourself!

Craig

RicksPick

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Way to go Michelle
Tough song to get through
Mucho cudos

RicksPick

tovo

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey Shel. I saw this was posted last night and decided to wait until this morning to enjoy it. Wow, wow and wow. I watched and then read all the comments and was pleased to see that those whose comments I always seek out had the same reaction as me. If you had trouble with any of the chords in this tune then you have fooled me. It was fluid and relaxed. The percussive effect was consistent throughout for mine. I thought you played it damn near flawlessly to be really honest. So although you might have picked up some flaws I don't think they were at all apparent to the audience. I'm so glad to see that guitar in the hands of a friend who is also becoming one hell of a player. I don't think many players on TG have improved as markedly as you have over a couple of years. Quite stunning. I can't finish without commenting on your demeanor either. You looked so very relaxed and appeared to be really enjoying the playing. Neil once told me in a review that the aim is to get to a place where you are enjoying your own performance. You looked to be enjoying. You look so well right now, I was thinking I just can't wait to see you again. Finally, I thought you did a really credible job on what I expect are some pretty tough vocals. Not an easy tune.

You deserve massive kudos for this effort. You have clearly put in heaps of work and have reaped the benefit. Well done my friend, I have much admiration for you.

michelew

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful comments, I find them really motivating and ... Well that all made me grin in a major way.

Bob - thanks I'm glad it helped you to unwind.

Willem - thanks. WOWs are always great to hear. I've been playing this for over a year. I'm sure you can get it where you want it if you invest the time. Where there's a will there's a way as they say. And yes, 'let it age' seems to be the verdict. Thanks for the cheers. :) :)

Nessa - WOW! :blush: :blush: :) Gosh it was good reading your response. I read it a few times. Your sweet, supportive and encouraging words are like gifts to me; gifts from my favourite muso superhero. :) Your advice during the early stages of working on this song made a big difference to how I played and practiced it. Thanks so much for giving me your hard earned experience (you and Neil make a great team in my books :) ). I'm really lucky to be able to benefits from your collective talent and experience. Let it age you say, well I also need to get it up to full speed too and then sing it at the same time ahhhhhh! So yep, I'll need to play it another million times indeed. Thank you for everything sweet woman, I appreciate it more than I can even express. :) :) :) :) :) :) :kiss:

Chris - thanks for making the sacrifice and I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it and I didn't make you run screaming out of the room while pulling your hair out. It's a great song. Living under a rock...well I didn't hear it as much as you did so I still love it. I'm glad i LOOKED relaxed because i was shaking like a leaf, playing and singing (you can hear it in my voice). the stress really plays havoc with the vocal chords. Thanks for you sweet words. :) :)

Den - gosh you're another one that just blows me away with your comments and always puts a big smile on my face. I'd LOVE to play and sing this with you. I almost asked you to sing the harmony, but I decided to just post it sans harmony for the moment. I'll keep playing it. If I make it to the camp I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to sit around busking this one together. What fun! The relaxation is a bit of a facade, but I am more relaxed than I have been for sure. One of the hardest things with this song was trying to stay as relaxed as possible because I found that both hands were tensing up in front of the camera especially, which was effecting my playing. Thanks for being such a sweet and supportive friend. :kiss: :kiss:

Suzi - hey sweet woman, yep you're another one who always puts a big smile on my face. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for all your sweet words. I'm looking forward to YOUR next post :kiss: :) :) :)

To be continued...

That's!

Shel

tombo1230

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Very well done Shel :) You have done all the hard work getting to this point. You just need to play it over and over to bed it in a bit more. Your fretting hand is very well under control, easy movement over the fretboard, good thumb positioning, very nice. I thought that your singing was the best I have heard from you so far B) :)

Tom N.

michelew

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Kenny - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for watching.

Buddy - it is a great song and the percussive strumming is great fun. I really enjoy doing it. Thanks.

Scott - well I'm glad I didn't mangle it since you're a fan of the song. Yes it is still a bit slow, I'll continue it play it to get it up to speed. It actually feels better to play when it's faster in many respects. Thanks

Al - thanks. I'm playing it in the same tuning as the album. It's tuned down a half step from standard tuning (all strings). This not only makes it easier to sing, but also reduces the tension in the strings and gives you a better percussive strike, it's much louder. You'd play and sing this song fantastically I'm sure. Thanks.

Craig - thanks mate. That's all nice to hear. Hey ... I'd love to hear what you're working on. Thanks :)

Rick - thanks. It is a marathon to be sure. I can't tell you how many takes I did where I got 75 % of the way through or further and then stuffed up or got distracted to the point where it put a big blemish on the recording. Thanks.

Tony - I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it so much. :blush: Thanks for your super enthusiastic and WOW amazing response. Yep you hit the sweet spot, you've really tickled me pink, I LOVED reading it. It's so nice to read ALL of that. BTW - the Larrivee (she says 'hi' by the way), just gets better and better sounding. I swear I can hear the sound improving. So thanks for thinking of me when you were looking for a new home for her. I love playing it every day, more and more so. And you're more than welcome to visit and have a play. I'd love to know if you can remember how she sounded and can hear how the sound has changed. I do enjoy playing this song; in front of the camera no so much, but I do enjoy playing it to be sure. Let me know when you're in my little town next. It's a little cooler here than SA from what I'm reading. Thanks. :) :) :) :kiss:

Thanks everyone. You're the best audience that any muso in training could hope to find.

Shel

Edit - Tom you snuck in while I was responding to the others. Thanks. Yes I do need to play it a few million times more. The singing, I'm still not comfortable singing in front of the camera, the nerves make my voice thin and constrict my chest. I've got A LOT to learn in the singing department. Thanks for the encouragement.

kelemenj

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

nicely done! Not the easiest song either.
John

michelew

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks John. It's a great song and fun to play.

M

Catman

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 am

That was a great performance!

I'm late to the party as usual, and much has already been said by better wordsmiths than I, but in a word...WOW

-David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic