Donovan Mellow Yellow by NKenny

NKenny

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

NKenny

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 am

I don't know how to put text in with the upload so I did it here. Any advice is appreciated. As usual the neves got to me, I tried about four times and my hands shook more each time I tried.

Thanks Kenny

kelemenj

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Kenny,
Good Job! You are almost there with it. Check out Neil's latest student review. He gives some practice tips that you may benefit from.
You can add text to your post by first posting it and then going back and editing it.
Sometimes a few beers can help with stage fright. (camera nerves) Only if it can be done with impunity though.
I want to check out that lesson. I've been playing around with 'Season of the Witch' a bit myself.
John

buddy

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Kenny. great progress on this tune, keep up the good work. I will leave suggestions to Neil the expert man, but wanted to encourage you that your hard work and practice are really paying off.

Bud

NKenny

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

John

I will check out Neils tips in that student review. Thanks for the info on how to post the text. A few beers couldn't hurt, good luck with Season of the Witch.

Buddy Thanks for the words of encouragement, it means a lot comming from you. Love your new guitar, sounds great

Kenny

dennisg

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Kenny,

Boy, doesn't this song bring back a lot of memories! I remember my mom asking me why, all of a sudden, I was eating so many bananas and not throwing away the peels.

Anyway, nice job on this sweet old Donovan Leitch stoner song.

Two suggestions I'd make that I think will help your shaky nerves immensely: 1) If the camera scares you, use it more. Start recording your practice sessions until you get so used to it that the camera just becomes another adornment in the room. And 2) Slow the song down. Your tempo tends to wander, and you're having a little trouble hitting certain chords, so you're leaving a gap. Slow the song down so that you can make the changes without losing tempo. Trust me, this issue comes up here frequently, and the best solution is to use a metronome. Set it for a slow tempo until you can comfortably make all the changes, then speed it up a little. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

tovo

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Some very good advice already. Use the camera so much that after a while it doesn't matter that it's there. Don't worry about the perfect take, that's what makes you nervous. Turn it on and run through the tune several times. If you get to the end of a run-through and think "hey that went well" then post that one and trash the others.

In terms of fluency with the tune, it just needs to be played a few thousand times more. There appears to be some pretty tricky changes there. You have them all down, now it's just repetition.

Good luck with it!

NKenny

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Dennis, thanks for all the great suggestions. It does bring back a lot of memories, seems like only yesterday.

Kenny

Tony, thanks for the reply. You are right have to just do over and over to get used to it and relax.

BobR

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Kenny,

You've already gotten good advice, so I will just add my encouragement. As Dennis said it sure brings back some good memories.

Keep it up and you'll get it.

Bob

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:19 pm

10 bucks says this get a review from Neil.
(..and that's $10 Canadian! :) )

I liked your strumming and light touch on the strings.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic