The Beatles (Harrison) by tombo1230

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:37 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Nicely done Tom, good work with the steady bass, there was no problem with the thumb.

I'd say it'd be a good idea to take Neil's common advice, break the timing issue down to just the first note of the triplet section, i.e. play measure 16 and 17 up until the open A which is the first note of the triplets. Rinse and repeat. Once you can do just that in time, add the hammer on. By that time you'll be able to do the rest of the triplets in time. The hard part is just joining the sections up in time.

I love hearing people do their versions of this arrangement. I remember being in awe when I first heard it, and the joy of eventually being able to play it. I went through agonies trying to get it down. But what a joy to play, a rite of passage for learning finger picking I think.

Thanks for posting and more please.

Dean
Thanks Dean it is a great tune. I will just keep plugging away and work on making it flow better. There are several tricky bits in this song that have improved in the last couple of weeks so it will improve even more with effort.

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Really enjoyable, Tom.

I love the song and play it often myself- only with a pick.

Thanks for sharing.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm

NKenny wrote:
Tom sounds like you have most of it down. I agree with some of the others about holding notes longer and keeping the tempo more consistent. I have the same problem with timming and such. Just keep practicing and it will become smooth. Nice work

Kenny
Thanks for watching Kenny. I will keep on working on it and get the tempo better. Just takes time.

Cheers,

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Really enjoyable, Tom.

I love the song and play it often myself- only with a pick.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for watching Al. I plan on learning the pick version myself eventually.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
dennisg wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
Not sure you can find DR Rare strings in your corner of the world, but it would be worth the hunt. Fantastic warmth on an 814.
Thanks for the tip Dennis. I will have a look for those.

Tom N.
Yes Dennis they are readily available from Amazon.co.uk. I am about to order them.

Thanks again,

Tom N.

dennisg

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Tom, get the Mediums for the 814. Slightly bigger low E string, but all the rest are the same. And let me know what you think of them.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm

dennisg wrote:
Tom, get the Mediums for the 814. Slightly bigger low E string, but all the rest are the same. And let me know what you think of them.

Job done, ordered the mediums. Will let you know what I think.

Cheers,

Tom N.

haoli25

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 am

Hey Tom, what a great job you've done here!!! :cheer:

It's a matter of smoothening things out, work on the transition to the bridge, let the notes ring as long as possible, make sure the last four 8th notes in for example measure 15 are really played as such (sometimes you tend to cut them short).

In order to get that transition down, you might wanna strum instead of fingerpick, just to make sure you get the timing right. So strum D for 4 beats, A for 2 beats and get right into those triplets, no pauzes, and strum D for another 4 beats. AND STOP RIGHT THERE! (who am I quoting???! :P ) and repeat. (gosh, I need video too, writing down feedback......I actually find it hard... :( )

Great work Tom, really enjoyed it!!

Ness

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 am

Vanessa

In other songs I have problems similar to what your discussing, a video would be interesting too.
Maybe you'll put one together for Tom ?

Dermot

:)

suziko

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 am

I actually considered it! But I just got up.....I don't think you'd like to watch me at thát point of the day, hahaha! :laugh: :laugh: ;) :P

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

In other songs I have problems similar to what your discussing, a video would be interesting too.
Maybe you'll put one together for Tom ?

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic