The Beatles (Harrison) by tombo1230

dennisg

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 am

Hi Tom,

This is a really impressive effort on an action-packed song. Congratulation on your progress -- you have every reason to feel proud.

One thing I would point out is that your tempo is often inconsistent in the song, speeding up in some parts and slowing down in others. The most noticeable example of that is when you go to the bridge section. The tempo slows down there substantially, probably because you're less comfortable playing that part of the song than you are with the verses. In my estimation, you can't play the song any faster than you can play the most difficult part, so if the bridge section is slowing you down, you might want to think about slowing the entire song down so that you can enter the bridge section without changing tempo. Once you're able to accomplish that, then you can pick up the tempo throughout.

As has been previously suggested, a metronome will keep you on track tempo-wise.

Which model of Taylor is that? It's a beauty.

Music Junkie

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 am

Tom:

That was very good. Dermot and Dennis already made good recommendations, so I won't add to it. I will say that you have very good posture and form. I find that tune to be very difficult, and think that your rendition was outstanding. It is good to see, and hear you play. Keep up the hard work.... B)

Jason

BobR

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Tom,

Since I can't play it, I will leave the critiques to others here and just let you know I really enjoyed it. Very nice sound you are getting and I am only listening at work with one ear. :laugh:

Bob

tovo

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Tom,

Great video and terrific playing. The only two areas for improvement I noted have already been noted, the clipping of some notes and the tempo wandering a little. Is this Harrison's greatest work? I tend to think so but gee there's some competition! I really enjoyed your rendition. Thanks.

dtaylor

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Nicely done Tom, good work with the steady bass, there was no problem with the thumb.

I'd say it'd be a good idea to take Neil's common advice, break the timing issue down to just the first note of the triplet section, i.e. play measure 16 and 17 up until the open A which is the first note of the triplets. Rinse and repeat. Once you can do just that in time, add the hammer on. By that time you'll be able to do the rest of the triplets in time. The hard part is just joining the sections up in time.

I love hearing people do their versions of this arrangement. I remember being in awe when I first heard it, and the joy of eventually being able to play it. I went through agonies trying to get it down. But what a joy to play, a rite of passage for learning finger picking I think.

Thanks for posting and more please.

Dean

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 pm

dennisg wrote:
Hi Tom,

This is a really impressive effort on an action-packed song. Congratulation on your progress -- you have every reason to feel proud.

One thing I would point out is that your tempo is often inconsistent in the song, speeding up in some parts and slowing down in others. The most noticeable example of that is when you go to the bridge section. The tempo slows down there substantially, probably because you're less comfortable playing that part of the song than you are with the verses. In my estimation, you can't play the song any faster than you can play the most difficult part, so if the bridge section is slowing you down, you might want to think about slowing the entire song down so that you can enter the bridge section without changing tempo. Once you're able to accomplish that, then you can pick up the tempo throughout.

As has been previously suggested, a metronome will keep you on track tempo-wise.

Which model of Taylor is that? It's a beauty.
Great advice Dennis thanks, I totally agree with everything you have said.

I have been practicing the song at 100bpm using guitar pro and keeping in sync with it. I probably need to continue practicing like that to be able to be more consistant. Full speed is 120bpm.

The guitar is a Taylor 814ce tobacco sunburst. I have two other acoustic guitars but they really only get played these days by Claire.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Tom:

That was very good. Dermot and Dennis already made good recommendations, so I won't add to it. I will say that you have very good posture and form. I find that tune to be very difficult, and think that your rendition was outstanding. It is good to see, and hear you play. Keep up the hard work.... B)

Jason
Thanks for your words of encouragement Jason it's very much appreciated.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm

EDIT: Sorry computer keeps losing Internet connection to TG and is throwing up duplicate replys.

Tom N.

dennisg

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
The guitar is a Taylor 814ce tobacco sunburst. I have two other acoustic guitars but they really only get played these days by Claire.
I thought so by the fret markers. That's the most beautiful 814 I've seen, and much nicer-looking than mine. I can see why you don't play your other guitars.

Not sure you can find DR Rare strings in your corner of the world, but it would be worth the hunt. Fantastic warmth on an 814.

dennisg

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
I thought so by the fret markers. That's the most beautiful 814 I've seen, and much nicer-looking than mine. I can see why you don't play your other guitars.

Not sure you can find DR Rare strings in your corner of the world, but it would be worth the hunt. Fantastic warmth on an 814.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic