Nick Drake Place To Be by dtaylor

michelew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 am

OK you've made me go and buy Nick's Pink Moon album. It's all your fault Dean... well mostly, Nick (and others) may have had something to do with it. But, listening to your cool playing and great vocals on this dissolved my remaining resolve. So...it's all your fault that I now have more sad-arse songs in my collection, but they are moving and beautiful. ... Gosh where are all the beautiful happy songs, someone start a busking thread.

I really enjoyed listening to this. I'm sure those in the know will be able to help you get just the right strumming technique happening.

You're voice is REALLY lovely. Please keep singing. And please, please, pleeeeease show us your guitar face next time, it really does make a difference for the viewer. If Daryl can do it you can too. I think Daryl got sick of my nagging. Be warned. I'm persistent. B)

Great upload.

thanks

M.

dtaylor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 am

michelew wrote:
OK you've made me go and buy Nick's Pink Moon album. It's all your fault Dean... well mostly, Nick (and others) may have had something to do with it. But, listening to your cool playing and great vocals on this dissolved my remaining resolve. So...it's all your fault that I now have more sad-arse songs in my collection, but they are moving and beautiful. ... Gosh where are all the beautiful happy songs, someone start a busking thread.
They are best listened to on your own on a dark night, though Which Will has a gentle charm even though the sentiment is rejection. That's next on my To Learn list.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Dean

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:09 am

:laugh: :laugh:

I really should let Neil do the work, right???! ;) :P

However, there are some covers of this song on youtube, you might wanna check them out and find someone whos strumming sounds like Nick Drake.

So how bout Pink Moon Dean??

I've become to really love that song when MattM made me learn it over a year ago or something. Would love to see your rendition of it!!

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 am

btw. Q.

So why tune the second string to an A and not C as in Pink Moon?

Edit: Oh got it, I can hear it in the original.

michelew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am

dtaylor wrote:
michelew wrote:
They are best listened to on your own on a dark night, though Which Will has a gentle charm even though the sentiment is rejection. That's next on my To Learn list.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Dean
It's almost midnight here and I've been listening to the album for the last....?... I've heard it a couple of times I think and I'm alone (no interruptions). You're absolutely right, it's perfect for this time of the evening, and feels more mellow and dreamy rather than sad per se (though it's still there a little deeper). Good advice. Which Will is as you say. I look forward to hearing you play it.

M.

michelew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am

Alright, I'll get back to you on this. Work calls first, but I'll be back.

Sure hope I won't dissapoint you, it's just MY idea about it. Later! :)

dtaylor wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Yes I know exactly what you mean, although I will fail when trying to explain it in writing. However, it's absolutely about subtleness, how and when to place the accents. It's also a wrist thing and a driving way of strumming....oh well, I told you I'd fail if I tried.... :S :huh: :(

So you think Nick Drake is playing without a pick? I don't think it's that though,
I think if I were to see it being played the way he did I could copy, but I can't come up with it myself. Play it for me Ness ;)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Alright here it goes, sure hope I won't dissapoint you..... :S

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:32 pm

That's simple and beautiful Vanessa... nice little tutorial clip!
Thanks for posting, I'm getting interested in this Nick drake stuff.
If I lived in Holland, you'd be my guitar teacher ;-).

Chris

michelew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

That's got to be close Nessa.

Ness I LOVE the subtleties you can get out of a continuous up and down strum. The stresses, the changes in volume, the way you're feeling in with your whole body and translating that to the guitar, even the way you're changing chords, they all seem to go together to give it a smooth and hypnotic feel. The tuning sounds great too.

...and frankly I can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed by any of your uploads.

I've learned something from this video about how to vary a strum to give it more feel and I'm not even learning this song. So thanks. Your generosity never ceases to astound me.

Xxx

Shel

dtaylor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:37 pm

michelew wrote:
That's got to be close Nessa.

Ness I LOVE the subtleties you can get out of a continuous up and down strum. The stresses, the changes in volume, the way you're feeling in with your whole body and translating that to the guitar, even the way you're changing chords, they all seem to go together to give it a smooth and hypnotic feel. The tuning sounds great too.

...and frankly I can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed by any of your uploads.
Hear Hear! Shel.

I see it now, it's smaller strokes but with more variation, it looks like more flexibility is needed in the wrist (the secret to many of life's problems). I think we were all hoping to hear your beautiful voice singing the tune. It would match Nick's perfectly, and not too low like Pink Moon. When you have the lyrics down?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic