Nick Drake River Man by nesh16041972

JHall

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 am

I álways appreciate whenever you stop by Dennis....!! :) :)

And yeah, a challenge it was....gosh! :ohmy: :laugh: Everything about the song is unusual, the timesignature, the chords, the lyrics, me not being able to play and sing instantly, haha! :laugh: Oh and there was a pinky involved in the playing too, totally new to me (I mean for the right hand), all in all a very nice challenge! :cheer:

Thanks so much Den, your comment means a lot.....!

Ness

dennisg wrote:
So sorry it's taken me this long to get to your lovely song, Ness -- I'm rarely on TG these days. But I picked a great time to check in and was very happy to see a video from you waiting for me. Just a fabulous job on a song that I can imagine was a real challenge to fit the lyrics with the music. And what unusual and moody chords this songs has!

Shel is absolutely right: you really are an inspiration to those of us who just flail around with the guitar. I admire what you do so much.

suziko

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey you there! Thanks for taking the time to drop by! :) :)

This is a classic example of looking back and thinking: Now whý was that so hard???! :dry: :laugh: Sure funny now and fascinating actually. All in all, it felt like an accomplishment! :cheer: :woohoo:

Anyway, I'm very glad you've enjoyed it, thanks so much again!!

Ness

suziko wrote:
That was really lovely, Ness! I had never heard this song before, and the picking pattern and the time signature sounded really tricky. I can imagine that it would be hard to sing over that and keep your fingers moving properly. But it sure looked to me like you did it with absolute ease. I couldn't tell that the key was too low for you, either, but you never really seem (to me!) to struggle with your singing at all.

All in all, a job very well done! Really nice to hear your version of this very melancholic song!

Like Dennis, I don't check into TG as often as I used to, so I apologize for not seeing this sooner!

Suzi

tombo1230

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

:) :) :) :) :cheer: :cheer: Thank you very much Marc, that was really nice to read! :cheer: Thanks for checking it out!!

Lavallee wrote:
Ness, this is a heck of a picking song. To keep that weird rhythm constant and sing it is a real sign of a pro.

Marc

daryl

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Gosh, now thát was really great to read as well! Indeed, the feel.....I always find it very important, so I'm really happy to hear that!!

Hope you've enjoyed the chocolate!! haha! :laugh: :P ;)

Thank you Chris, appreciate it!!

Ness

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That was just great Vanessa! Perfectly done, you really captured the feel.
Now I need chocolate!

michelew

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 am

Nessa,

As you know I'm learning this song. I'm making progress as follows:

- playing 5/4 - check, love it
- pinky - check - very cool,
- unusual chord shapes - pah! No sweat B)
- singing (....only) yep, check two options now available for keys (it depends how girlie I want to be :) )
- play through with Nick - check - almost memorised
- playing while chatting...yep, not bad..

.... Singing and playing together ...OMG!!!!! Who's crazy idea was that...my brain hurts, my fingers forget what the time signature is and where I'm up to... DISASTER!!!!! WARNING, WARNING, DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

... You make it look so DAMN easy super muso. I'm in maximum awe!!! ...Just for something completely different.

I'm imagining passing through the pain and getting to the 'what was so hard about that?' phase. Oh.... ... ... it's going to take a while B)

You're amazing. It's official.

Shel

TGNeil

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 am

haha!! :laugh: Oh gosh Shel, I so feel what you mean!!! :S :laugh:

But still, you got a lót of stuff down already, good for you :cheer: !! Yeah, the playing ánd singing, it's a .......CHALLENGE!!! :S :dry: :huh: :blink: :unsure: :P

Good luck, let me know how it goes and thanks so much for your sweet words.... :kiss: !

Nessa

michelew wrote:
Nessa,

As you know I'm learning this song. I'm making progress as follows:

- playing 5/4 - check, love it
- pinky - check - very cool,
- unusual chord shapes - pah! No sweat B)
- singing (....only) yep, check two options now available for keys (it depends how girlie I want to be :) )
- play through with Nick - check - almost memorised
- playing while chatting...yep, not bad..

.... Singing and playing together ...OMG!!!!! Who's crazy idea was that...my brain hurts, my fingers forget what the time signature is and where I'm up to... DISASTER!!!!! WARNING, WARNING, DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

... You make it look so DAMN easy super muso. I'm in maximum awe!!! ...Just for something completely different.

I'm imagining passing through the pain and getting to the 'what was so hard about that?' phase. Oh.... ... ... it's going to take a while B)

You're amazing. It's official.

Shel

tombo1230

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

Well Ness. you make this tune seem easy. like there are no obstacles. By all accounts this is a pretty tricky piece.
Well done for handling all the difficulties and making it sound so great!

As always, you manage to immerse yourself and make a real connection to the song. :) that's the gift of experience, hard work and heart.

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Spoooky chords.. Love it!!

Must be a very difficult song to keep that timing correct throughout. Of course you nailed it.
(Please tell us that was at least take 9 or 10 though-- and you didn't nail it the first take right??) ;)

willem

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey guys, Tom and Al, thanks so much for taking the time to listen to this spooky song (among other adjectives)....!

And yeah, the challenge was a big one, but funny enough once passed that, it just seems to get hardwired into your fingers/brain and it's hard to imagine why it was so hard.....gosh... :dry:

Anyway, it was nice to be challenged in a totally different way, Neil does keep us occupied! :P

Thanks again guys, loved to read your comments! :) :)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic