Nick Drake River Man by nesh16041972

dtaylor

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 pm

It goes without saying that that was a masterful performance Vanessa, I wonder what your take is of the lyric? It leaves me with an uneasy feeling, not sure of the meaning but I it's still unsettling.

Congratulations on getting to grips with what is clearly a very difficult piece. Nothing but admiration on my part, long may you reign :)

Dean

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks so much Dean, really great to read your comment!! I was of course curious since I know you're all over Nick Drake's songs! ;)

The lyrics....I wouldn't really know...I've read theorys and speculations about it.....but....I guess there's no way to be sure.....what's your take on it?

Are you learning the song?

Thanks again Dean, really appreciate it!!

Ness

dtaylor wrote:
It goes without saying that that was a masterful performance Vanessa, I wonder what your take is of the lyric? It leaves me with an uneasy feeling, not sure of the meaning but I it's still unsettling.

Congratulations on getting to grips with what is clearly a very difficult piece. Nothing but admiration on my part, long may you reign :)

Dean

auntlynnie

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 am

Wow, this s really beautiful!
I have never heard the original, but i'm heading over to youtube now to investigate.
I couldn't detect that you had any difficulty with the key.

Thanks for posting this...very inspiring!
Lynn

thereshopeyet

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 am

Hey Lynn, thanks for dropping by! :)

You didn't notice the lesson that came out last week?

The original is with lots of strings, I actually considered to add them (since I can play them on my synthesizer). They're just so haunting and moving and ......well just beautiful...!

It wasn't the key which was difficult (besides that I find it a bit low), but the unusual 5/4 timesignature. That's actually fine too, until you start singing, haha! :S :laugh: The melody isn't in sinc with the guitarplaying, so for that doing both was a big challenge. Even Neil had to work hard on getting both the singing and playing down. For me it wasn't any less. Bút once you do get it down, it's hard to imagine that it was so hard at first.... :S :P

So all in all, it was a nice challenge, since normally singing and playing comes natural to me, I very much enjoyed working on it.

And I'm very glad that it was inspirational, thank you very much for you kind comment! :cheer:

Ness

auntlynnie wrote:
Wow, this s really beautiful!
I have never heard the original, but i'm heading over to youtube now to investigate.
I couldn't detect that you had any difficulty with the key.

Thanks for posting this...very inspiring!
Lynn

BigBear

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Ness- I know I commented on your video before but I sure can't find it. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on another wonderful video. You are a very skilled guitarist and I always enjoy your videos. They are inspirational for many of us.

Keep up the great playing and thanks for sharing!!

Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 am

I'm sorry for the confusion Bear, you sure did comment to this upload, it's in the Busking Nick Drake-thread! ;) But I certainly appreciate you stopping by here and making sure that I'd read your comment, which is such a kind one! :) :cheer: Thanks so much again!!!!

Cheers!

Ness

BigBear wrote:
Ness- I know I commented on your video before but I sure can't find it. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on another wonderful video. You are a very skilled guitarist and I always enjoy your videos. They are inspirational for many of us.

Keep up the great playing and thanks for sharing!!

Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:33 pm

So sorry it's taken me this long to get to your lovely song, Ness -- I'm rarely on TG these days. But I picked a great time to check in and was very happy to see a video from you waiting for me. Just a fabulous job on a song that I can imagine was a real challenge to fit the lyrics with the music. And what unusual and moody chords this songs has!

Shel is absolutely right: you really are an inspiration to those of us who just flail around with the guitar. I admire what you do so much.

suziko

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 pm

That was really lovely, Ness! I had never heard this song before, and the picking pattern and the time signature sounded really tricky. I can imagine that it would be hard to sing over that and keep your fingers moving properly. But it sure looked to me like you did it with absolute ease. I couldn't tell that the key was too low for you, either, but you never really seem (to me!) to struggle with your singing at all.

All in all, a job very well done! Really nice to hear your version of this very melancholic song!

Like Dennis, I don't check into TG as often as I used to, so I apologize for not seeing this sooner!

Suzi

Lavallee

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Ness, this is a heck of a picking song. To keep that weird rhythm constant and sing it is a real sign of a pro.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:59 am

That was just great Vanessa! Perfectly done, you really captured the feel.
Now I need chocolate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic