Al Stewart Year of the Cat by suziko

suziko

Fri May 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks to a recent discussion on the forum, I was reminded that I wanted to take a look at the lesson on Year of the Cat. It’s a song I looked at when the lesson first came out, but at the time it was just too hard for me. I couldn’t play the barre chords and the riff was pretty much impossible. I was pleasantly surprised this time to discover that it was suddenly a song that was relatively in my comfort zone- at least guitar-wise. Singing-wise, it was definitely a challenge!

I debated posting this song because it’s essentially a strummy song with a nice little lick to define it, but ultimately I decided to go ahead. When I joined this site, about 3 ½ years ago, I could barely play a level 2 or 3 song. It’s comforting to realize that, if you just practice regularly, you will make progress. Go check out my first student review upload of "Who'll Stop the Rain?" On second thought- don't!!!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

reiver

Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Hey Suzi

Great job on this tricky song. Really good to see you posting again. And I'm especially happy to hear you acknowledge that you have, in fact, made some great improvements in your playing. Sometimes that fact can get lost as we strive to play ever harder songs.

Now, if we can just start working on your Glasgow accent you'll really be able to nail this song!

Very nicely done.

S

willem

Fri May 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Suzi,,you earn a review and not only for your smiles,,,that was great and you can be proud for having that song in your bag,,,,

Willem

P.S,,now I know how to make you smile I make some buzzes(a few),,this is mend funny!!!

thereshopeyet

Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Great Video Suzi

I look forward to your review, it's well earned.

Dermot

:)

Edit
Gosh you have a really bendy left third finger. :ohmy:

Music Junkie

Fri May 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Suzi:

Well that was a very nice clip to watch on a Friday afternoon... One of my favorite lessons here at TG. I play this song a couple of times each week, as it is super fun. I have not gotten any of the leads down or anything quite as nice as yours, but I love strumming away on the intro, verse and chorus. It has such a cool progression and set of chords. I thought you did a wonderful job on this one. You just made the comment a few days ago about getting back into it. Nice work!

Can you go into detail of what it is like to have a nice quiet space to play...... I am very envious....lol

What is next?

Thanks for posting!

Jason

unclewalt

Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Nice job! I rarely watch these, but had to watch this one. If I remember right, Neil's lesson actually simplifies that little lick on the high strings - there are fewer notes in the lesson than there are in the recording (because it's a keyboard lick), which makes it a bit easier to handle, but still sounds essentially right. Anyway, that's what I do, and it's still a bit of a challenge to do that at speed. I'll have to look for that audio recording of Neil and Al to see how he does it there.

And, side note: I like your house. Cool French doors, woodwork.

Ah, here's that audio. Love the "Grapevine" intro. The lick does seem simplified slightly from the original - maybe Neil can weigh in. I assume that's Neil playing lead on YOTC? Sounds like it.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

michelew

Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm

WOW Sue! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

What a FANTASTIC surprise to see this from you this morning. Just GREAT!

I LOVE the lick work here in particular, you're so fast and fluid and spot on timing-wise. You're strumming looks comfortable and you're not missing a beat even though your jumping into the lick. Really cool.

But GOSH! I'm blown away at how good your vocals are on this too. You've ...I can't even think of the right words to describe the jump in skill you've made. I love your singing on this. You may have found it hard, but it REALLY doesn't show. You sound great.

Woo hoo!

I'm really glad you posted this. I smiled big time ALL the way through. :kiss:

Shel

Craig

Fri May 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Nice work Suzi! I'm so happy for you. It's awesome when those moments come that you realize how much you have improved. I agree with Michelle, your vocals sounded solid. The little lick is smooth. Very enjoyable all the way around. Well done!

Craig

tombo1230

Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey Suzi, great job! Loved it. :)

You have inspired me to learn this beautiful song from a fellow countryman of mine. (Oh no, on top of all the others I am working on) :huh: :dry:
So thanks for sharing this. :)

Tom N.

willem

Sat May 18, 2013 5:47 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Hey Suzi, great job! Loved it. :)

You have inspired me to learn this beautiful song from a fellow countryman of mine. (Oh no, on top of all the others I am working on) :huh: :dry:
So thanks for sharing this. :)

Tom N.
Hey Tom thats great,maybe you can find a fellow countryman and play the whole thing,,I did not realise how this lesson was growed in all his parts..

super lesson.

goodluck with it

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic