John D. Loudermilk Windy and Warm by thereshopeyet

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:23 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Here's my attempt at Windy and Warm.
Making the video has highlighted how bad it really is for me.

I need to work on it till it's more fluent, but I feel I'm hitting a wall with it now.
I think I've master many bad habits in practicing it and no longer know how to sort them out.

Section 1
The slides are trick but I think I understand what I'm trying to do, enough to practice them.

Section 2
I find it difficult going from the Am (Measure 14) to the Dm (Measure 15).
It feels like a big leap to keep up.

Section 3
I'm not sure how to move from each chord G, C7, F, Dm, fluently without breaking up the sound as if I'm stopping between each chord.

Section 4
The F7/F# measures 51 and 52, I don't feel to comfortable with either.
I'm not sure if I'm playing them correctly !

The Ending
I've got the cycling of the chords out of whack, I'll need to practice them slower.
I liked your ending in the play thorough but couldn't figure it out, you do quite alot of
hammerons and pull offs from what I can see / hear.

I've relied a lot on the Notation/tab to learn Windy and Warm after studying the video lessons. Any other tab to help me expand on the embellishments and ending would be great. Actually, any advice to help me improve what I'm playing and develop Windy and Warm would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the great lesson Neil, I didn't think I'd get this far with it.

Dermot

:)

willem

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 am

Wow Dermot,,you sure do practicing,,,I liked the playing when you don't look at your hands(sometimes some transitions will do fine when you(we) don't look at our hands),,This is really review worthy and I hope Neil will help you out a lot with many,many tips...

Willem

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:43 am

Hello Willem

Thanks for watching and commenting.
I've been practicing it for quite a while now but finding it hard to improve it.
I still have fun with what I am playing though.

Thanks Willem

Dermot

Edit
I hope I get a review :S :blush:
I also hope I get lots of tips too Willem, that would be very cool !!
Fingers Crossed.
:ohmy:

dekotaj

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 pm

BRAVO!!! Sir

What a great song. Anything above about a 6 level is above my playing skills. So BRAVO!!! on challanging your self on a very hard song. Stay with it I no you will get it. Hell it's sounding good as is.

Thanks for posting.
Kev

suziko

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Dermot,

This is a song I've worked on periodically but never gotten to a state that I'm really happy with. It's a very tricky song but also fun to play. My advice would be to slow it all way, way down and to work harder at keeping to a steady tempo. It's better to JUST play part one and get that right before worrying about the other parts. I notice in just the first few measures that some notes you're holding far too long (the D note that you're playing with your pinky you're holding about 2x too long). Listen to how Neil plays it. If you have GP, play along with GP slowed waaaaay down. The best thing you can do to improve this song is take it tiny chunks at a time and NAIL those parts before you move on. Tempo and timing are everything with every song.

Just keeping practicing and it's great that you're having fun playing this!

Suzi

dtaylor

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Good to see an upload of a old standard picking tune for a change, well done on tackling it. I'd just second everything Suzi said about timing.
I know you like to go for some hard tunes, you mentioned you'd been learning Pachelbel's Canon a while ago. Keep up the hard work on it Dermot.
Dean

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Kev

Thanks for the encouragement.
I'll keep at it for sure.
:)

Suzi Wrote:
Tempo and timing are everything with every song
I think that's where I need to concentrate in all my practice..... I've got lazy with Windy and Warm in that respect.
I do need to slow it way down.

I did at one point try practicing it with a metronome but find that hard to do.......
match up the notes with the metronome beats. :blush

Thanks for watching Suzi and commenting, I'll keep at it .

Dean
Thanks to you too for commenting.
I do need to sort out my time ....... Mr metronome and me don't get on too well, he's very strict and
I'm just not sure how to keep with him. I think the hardest part (even when playing slowly), I go out of time.... start again etc etc.
It then feels like an exercise and lose interest :blush: :S and get no fun.
:S

Finding a way to work with a metronome is still a major downfall for me !
I'd prefer the metronome to GP6 though, I'd rather not mess about with my laptop when practicing.
That was really one of my main reasons for getting an acoustic, I didn't want to plug anything in.....just lift and play. :dry:
It may be that I'm jumping way ahead of myself and should have mastered total basics with a metronome.
Now I'm sounding very lazy !
:ohmy: :(

I hear what all of you are saying .... Tempo and Timing..... I'll try and work this out.
Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Dermot

dtaylor

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:07 pm

I shouldn't say this but I've never used a metronome, I'm a bad student!
I think it's more to do with just feeling the beat and knowing what sound you're trying to replicate, and knowing if what you're doing is 'right' when you play it.
As long as you can do that with each measure I wouldn't worry about trying to be metronomically accurate if you don't like to practice that way. But that's just me and probably 'bad' advice.

BobR

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Dermot,

Well, you don't go for the easy ones do you. I give you a lot of credit for this effort. I agree with others here to slow it down until your very comfortable with the chord changes and to break it into small manageable chunks.

Keep at it. :)

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Dermot, good work on a tough song.

I think that it would help if you would look at your fretting hand all the time for now. When you are playing in the same position you look to the right. When it is time to move your hand to a different position, you turn your head to the left to look at your hand and then you move, causing a longer pause between chords. If your head would look at the fretting hand, you could visualize the landing position and shorten the pause.

In the first section, I would suggest to review some picking notes as the melody is missing sometimes, around the bend with the A minor and when you comes back from the third and fifth fret chord. I think that the best tool is to use alternating fingers for the quick notes.Something to practice slowly at first :)

All in all you are getting some good results. I like playing this song as well and I am sure you have a lot of fun practicing it.

Good work Dermot

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic