Doc Watson Deep river blues by willem (practice session #4 in a row)

willem

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 am

Hi, I try to follow the tab given by Neil,,I try also to remember which chords I'm on 'cos the goal is also to sing it,,(wish I at the melody on a music-sheet),,I have a lot of fun with this tune,,

Comments are very welcome.

Willem

PS,, I think my thumb aint ready,,,I think the best way to get my thumb in the mood is that I should start a few measers with only my thumb pounding on that bass notes,,just got that idea but its to late for this vid,,pfffff

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

sbutler

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 am

Practice makes perfect man. Looks like a really good start Willem. This is a song that I saved to my favorites list, but hadn't had the time to start working on it yet. Maybe you'll inspire me to get moving.

I don't have any words of wisdom, as I don't really have a good knowledge of the tab yet. So I'll leave the review to others. Good job so far though. Keep it up.

Scott

BobR

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Willem,

That is you right :laugh: Like Scott, I don't have any tips other than keep at it since practice makes perfect( or so I have heard) :) . It is sounding good.

Bob

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Cool video Willem.

One to watch again and again

Dermot

:)

TGNesh

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:15 am

You know what to do Willem! ;)

Embellishments are the last thing to incorporate and to focus on, get the basics and foundation right first, keep those droning bassnotes going whatever you do. Not vice versa. The rest will fall into place. :)

Good luck and thanks for sharing :)

Nessa

tombo1230

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 am

As Ness says, basics first Willem. You need to be able to play those bass notes automatically. I would suggest doing just that and slowly with a metronome, you can mute the strings for this. You could maybe use a minute timer and concentrate keeping it in time for a minute. The intensity and concentration of doing this works. A minute playing, 30 secs rest, do this for ten or so minutes as an exercise. You will quickly improve. You could do this as a warm up exercise every practice day, you will quickly improve.

Once you can play the tune without missing a thumb beat and have added the other fingers, then you can add the embellishments.
If you can have this discipline you will have cracked it. Once the bass notes are sorted this will sound amazing Willem. I look forward to hearing that, because it is sounding quite musical already. :)

Tom N.

willem

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Scott,go for it,,,thx

Bob,its me,,were you working on??

Dermot,focus,repeat,focus :laugh: B)

Nessa, ;) ;) yes,, I do all those things.. B)

Tom you really won a price here,,I do your exercice,,

I called it embillishments but I just followed the tab,,its more a sort of melody I guess..

Willem

BobR

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 pm

willem wrote:
[quote]Scott,go for it,,,thx

Bob,its me,,were you working on??

Hi Willem ,
I think I am trying too many things and still need to get some focus :ohmy: I keep hoping to post something but time just gets away from me.
Bob

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Willem, I'm impressed !
Country Blues is sure a fun style ... one (only one) of the crazy things about TG is that you can be sucked into so many projects at the same time.

So I appreciate the work you've done so far on this, while also exploring whatever other techniques Neil surprises us with.

This kind of music is so great for playing in family/friend groups .... so much melody that it doesn't matter if nobody knows the words.

Keep having fun,
Pierre

willem

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:22 am

Pierre,thx, I would love to play the basses a bit stronger so they come with more volume( A bit,not much),,Yeah everybody loves melody,maybe we can make it a duet,,lol

Willem

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Willem, I'm impressed !
Country Blues is sure a fun style ... one (only one) of the crazy things about TG is that you can be sucked into so many projects at the same time.

So I appreciate the work you've done so far on this, while also exploring whatever other techniques Neil surprises us with.

This kind of music is so great for playing in family/friend groups .... so much melody that it doesn't matter if nobody knows the words.

Keep having fun,
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic