Jackson Browne Running on Empty by kelemenj

kelemenj

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I kinda wanted a redo on this one from the busking post. Still having some problems hitting the high notes though. I recorded this with a usb mic so the guitar sounds a little tinny and tends to cut out.
Not to make excuses though :)
John

drfuji

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:02 am

Good job...been working on this one myself...Thanks...

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 pm

Hey John,

Really enjoyed that! Always liked that tune and you definitely did it justice- INCLUDING THE HIGH NOTES! :)

One thing that jumped out at me though.. When you play the descending riff multiple times starting at 3:20, I think the chords are a bit off. Not by much but it sounds a bit off to my ear from the original (and I assume the lesson- although I haven't watched it yet :huh: )

Anyway- I enjoyed it all the same.

Cheers!

kelemenj

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:16 am

Dr Fuji,
Thanks. It really is a great tune. For one thing, I didn't know how great the lyrics were till now. Have fun with this one.

Al,
Thanks, I listened back to the part you were referring to, and I agree that the last 2 chords of that sequence might be a little off. But all in all it landed somewhere between 'close enough' and 'f*** it'. There are some other blunders in there, but if I was to be a perfectionist about these posts, I probably would never post anything. And what fun would that be?
John

jayswett

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:26 am

Nice job on this great song. Enjoyed watching this.

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 am

kelemenj wrote:

Al,
Thanks, I listened back to the part you were referring to, and I agree that the last 2 chords of that sequence might be a little off. But all in all it landed somewhere between 'close enough' and 'f*** it'. There are some other blunders in there, but if I was to be a perfectionist about these posts, I probably would never post anything. And what fun would that be?
John

I mentioned it in your 'uploaded for review' post and not your busking post in case you were looking for specific feedback like that. I actually agree about not being a perfectionist when uploading.. I've made that argument more than a few times when I was in my video posting hey-day. Some people like stuff like that pointed out as they might not even realize they deviated from the lesson or song. Others don't care and want to play it their way and put their spin on it.

Either way it's all good.

kelemenj

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 am

Al,
I hope I didn't come across as defensive about your comment. It certainly wasn't intended that way. :)
I do appreciate the feedback. As for posting this in the review section, I was kind of hoping for some other ideas to play the instrumental breaks in the song as I kind of just winged them.

Jay,
Thanks for the comment.

BTW: Happy 2014 everyone ! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 am

kelemenj wrote:
Al,
I hope I didn't come across as defensive about your comment. It certainly wasn't intended that way. :)
I do appreciate the feedback. As for posting this in the review section, I was kind of hoping for some other ideas to play the instrumental breaks in the song as I kind of just winged them.

Jay,
Thanks for the comment.

BTW: Happy 2014 everyone ! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

No worries- I didn't think you were offended.
Hopefully you get the other feedback that you're looking for.

And Happy New Year!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 pm

That was great John, good post!

Now I know where this came from:

BobR

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi John,

Nice post.

I didn't seem to hear any problems with you getting the high notes.

Bob
Happy new Year :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic