The Beatles Yesterday Neil's Solo Arrangement by dtaylor

dtaylor

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Jason, still working on the Nick Drake canon, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Btw if you like the Pink Moon era stuff with the sparse guitar accompaniment, I highly recommend a collection of rarities entitled Made To Love Magic, some real gems on it.

Mark, thank you for the comment, you're too generous.

Willem, thanks for the inspiration to look at this again.

Jean, I've learned so much in the meantime, so many techniques, or chord shapes, manoeuvres etc, it all adds up to making once intimidating tunes less so. How's Imagine coming along?

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Jason, still working on the Nick Drake canon, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Btw if you like the Pink Moon era stuff with the sparse guitar accompaniment, I highly recommend a collection of rarities entitled Made To Love Magic, some real gems on it.
Way ahead of you....lol I have his entire collection. I just flat missed him until Neil did the first lesson, and then I heard him on a Pandora channel of mine. What a great collection of music! I have wanted to give a go at Northern Sky and Which Will, but they are still out of my range of abilities. He has so many wonderful tunes.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. This Beatles tune was yet another display of your hard work and diligence. You have a lot to be proud of. ;)

J

dtaylor

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
Way ahead of you....lol I have his entire collection. I just flat missed him until Neil did the first lesson, and then I heard him on a Pandora channel of mine. What a great collection of music! I have wanted to give a go at Northern Sky and Which Will, but they are still out of my range of abilities. He has so many wonderful tunes.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. This Beatles tune was yet another display of your hard work and diligence. You have a lot to be proud of. ;)

J
Black Eyed Dog reminds me of the uneasy feeling hearing Robert Johnson for the first time, just captivating. Which Will remains a stand-out tune, it just never gets old. Anyone could learn a lot from playing Nick Drake tunes, I'm also grateful for having my eyes opened to his genius.

fjeanmur

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey Dean,

Imagine is coming along just fine since you taught me the capo trick. I'm just having a counting issue in measure 17. I don't see how it adds up to 4 beats. When I get a moment, I'll look at the video to see if I can tell what's going on, but other than that it was a great suggestion that didn't take me too long to get "up and running."

Craig

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Great job Dean! Very smooth and clean! Congratulations on getting this one nailed down.

Craig

jayswett

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Another great video. Well done.

TGNesh

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 am

Just WOW!! :) .............first word that came to mind when I heard the last notes.....obviously you've done really well here!

As someone who likes to sing, the only thing I'd like to say is, the first two melody notes, 'Yes' 'ter'...you play them equally long (I suppose Neil does that too?), however Paul doesn't sing it like that. He sings 'Yes' longer and 'ter' shorter. Personally I would play it as such as well. That line (word) would flow a little more then.

Then again, who cares, it's just something that I noticed. It's all great as it is! :)

Ness

dtaylor

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:43 am

Craig, Jay, thank you for checking it out, glad you like it.
Ness, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely incorporate that phrasing change, you're right it's the signature phrase and stands out a bit as it is. I guess the same could be said for the line '...looks as though...' with its particular stress. It's a nice practice piece to work on moderating volume and stress, and I also need to work on adding vibrato.
Thanks for your thoughts :)

AcousticAl

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Totally missed this, Dean.

I can only echo what others have said and congratulate you on your efforts.
I hope you're rewarded with a review.

dtaylor

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:21 am

Cheers Al, always good to hear from you. I did get a 'Mentioned in Dispatches' during the news which was complimentary so i'm not expecting a review :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic