Steve Howe The Clap by tvarga

tvarga

Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I finally decided to try and really learn the song I've wanted to learn for 30 years or so.
I've been working on it for a few months now, but I still have a lot to go on it.
My biggest challenge (as will be obvious in the video) is fast, coordinated finger work.
I'm certainly better at it than I was a few months ago, but I intend to really work on this skill over the summer.

I had hoped to study a lesson by Neil on this, but alas, that never arrived.
So, I started with a GP file I found on-line ... which was horribly inaccurate. But at least it was a start.
Then, I mostly watched a slowed down video of Steve playing it a thousand times. I guess that worked the best for me.

-Tom

kelemenj

Fri May 23, 2014 11:33 am

Way to go Tom! You must have put a lot work into that.
You are really close to your goal. Keep at it.
Terrific work on a pretty complicated song.

I think this would a level 9 lesson if, I mean when, it gets posted :laugh:

John

Music Junkie

Fri May 23, 2014 11:45 am

Tom:

That is darn good progress so far on a tough song. Considering you started with a GP file and some slowed down video, I would say you have made an amazing start on this. It is obvious you have been working diligently on this one, and the added work over the summer will have you right where you want to be. Your left hand was in such good form throughout. Your right hand stayed in solid position as well, and the alternating bass was solid as a rock. I would think you could slow it down for a bit longer and then gradually speed it back up over the summer. I truly admire the tough songs you tackle. I also admire your attitude about them. I remember you stating that Classical Gas was not that tough, you just needed to stay focused and work on small bits at a time. I have no doubt that you will nail this in a few more months. I would love to see this in person in September. Any chance of you coming back this year?

As always, great post and great playing.

Cheers!

Jason

BobR

Fri May 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Tom,

I know you like to tackle the tough ones and this is amazing to me. I'm sure you'll have it where you want soon. I look forward to that.

Great job
Bob

haoli25

Fri May 23, 2014 1:11 pm

WHEW!!! You do like the tough ones don't you Tom? Great job.

Bill Image

TGNeil

Fri May 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Tom,

I know you have been dying for me to get to this and it has always been a project I wanted to do such a great job on, it created its own obstacle. I will take a look at this over the weekend and try to get to a few quick pointers, may 1 or 2 at a time.

Thanks for priming the pump!

Neil

tvarga

Sun May 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks everyone!
There's nothing like taking on something really challenging to force one to learn new things. :)
It took me weeks just to learn the first few bars of the song. It's got some pretty challenging chord shape transitions that I've never done before.
And yes, this would make a really good (challenging), multi-part drip feed lesson some day and I bet it would attract a lot of interest to TG!
-Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic