Leonard Cohen Hallelujah by dtaylor

tombo1230

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 am

Hi Dean, great job! I always watch out for your posts.

This is one of several pieces I am working on, just started this one recently. It's a lovely tune and very nice to play.
I noticed (I think) that when there are two quick strikes on the same string, you use the same finger, i.e. the designated string finger.I don't have the music in front of me, but I'm sure its the high e string. Anyway, I would use the designated string finger and another finger to play the second strike because I feel it's more efficient. I used to not do this and kept the designated fingers in place, but I've heard Neil mention in some lessons to change fingers for speed and ease. Just thought I would throw that out there. I think it flows better doing this.

Keep posting, I, like most others here enjoy your playing, as your movement is effortless looking. B) :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:15 am

Sorry having connection problems causing multiple posts. :)

dtaylor

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 am

Jim, thank you very much for the compliment.

Tom, nice spot, I had forgotten about the double-strikes on the same string. When it's more free-form playing, my discipline tends to wander. Thanks for taking time to mention it.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Ah, the wonderful Brazilian rosewood BSG! Lovely sounds coming out of it and a really nice job again Dean, you are really progressing.

TGNesh

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 am

Ah great! :)

Listening to it the first time I didn't think you were overdoing the 'roll'. Listening to it now, I can see why you ask. I still don't think it's too much, but it's a good thing to pay attention to it. There are, for example, in particular electric guitar players who throw in a vibrato with évery note they hit. It's an automatic thing and I heard Joe Satriana say something very interesting about that: , around 07.25. (it's just a minute of the actual video) I thought that that's just a very important thought/tip to remember when playing/practicing in general. Because we all have our little automatic thingies that we throw in all the time. But it's really a good thing to actually decide when to do so or not. 'You can't tell a story instrumentally by having the same message'.

Again, just a thought, applies for any musician. :)

Ness

dtaylor wrote:
Vanessa, I know what you mean and just tried it with the alternating bass and it sounds much better. It'll keep working on it. Is the roll overdone? I lose perspective when playing something over and over so I can't tell any more if it's too much...

dtaylor

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 am

Chris, thanks for listening and your generous compliment :)

Vanessa, interesting vid, fascinating just watching Joe warm up! Thanks for your feedback, I do value it.

auntlynnie

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:15 am

Wow!
First - the guitar playing sounds wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed your playing.

Second - Brazilian Rosewood! Really? I just knew that guitar sounded special!

I am envious on both counts.

Lynn

dtaylor

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:39 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Wow!
First - the guitar playing sounds wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed your playing.

Second - Brazilian Rosewood! Really? I just knew that guitar sounded special!

I am envious on both counts.

Lynn
Hi Lynn, having heard you play I know you've nothing to be jealous of in my playing. I just wish I could do the guitar justice!

fjeanmur

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 am

Hey Dean,

I thought you did a wonderful job as usual. I can't offer any criticism since I'm often chasing you. You come up with terrific song ideas and then I say "I think I'll try that!" So thanks for the great post and for the advice along the way. Maybe I'll give this one a try too.

Jean

dtaylor

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks Jean, for the encouragement and hope you give this a try, such a nice one to add to your repertoire. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic