Metallica Nothing Else Matters by jayswett

jayswett

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I learned this a month or so ago, and definitely made some mistakes in this video (particularly the end), but I decided, for the sake of time and common sense, that I would do not more than three takes. This was the second and I thought it would give Neil a good sense as to where I am with this song. I hadn't heard of it until recently, and was surprised to see that there was a Target Lesson. Anyway, clearly some work to do on it, and I'm sure Ill be saying the same for my next video, which I'm about to create right now since I just spent the last hour or so re-learning how to make and upload these videos. I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving, which reminds me that I need to have another look at Alice's Restaurant.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Wow, that's pretty darn good Jay! Great to see a post from you again!
Nothing wrong with your playing, maybe the recording is slightly into the red on the volume and has blurred a bit.
How did you record?

Chris

BobR

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Jay,

Another nice post. Since I am not too familiar with the tune, if you made mistakes, i didn't notice.

Great job
Bob

Music Junkie

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Jay:

That was a great job. I had completely forgotten about that lesson. It really is a beautiful piece of music. Your fingerpicking has always been a trait that I envy, it is so clear. I have to admit that I did not see the mistakes your were eluding to in your post. It sounded quite brilliant to me. I would agree with, however, about the volume during recording. It sounded a bit taxed.

Great to see a post from you. I was very bummed that you could not make it to the IGC this year. Maybe next time..

Thanks for sharing this!

Have a great holiday. B)

J

jayswett

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Wow, that's pretty darn good Jay! Great to see a post from you again!
Nothing wrong with your playing, maybe the recording is slightly into the red on the volume and has blurred a bit.
How did you record?

Chris
I agree. Something is screwy with the sound. I'll have to check the original file, which is on the hard drive of my other computer. I'm pretty sure it didn't sound quite that bad. Oh well...

willem

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm

A great tune and you did fine,,

Can you fix the video sound?

Willem

tombo1230

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Nice job Jay, I really like that tune, such a cool melody. Thanks for flagging up this tune as I am looking for another fingerpicking number to learn right now, this could very well fit the bill. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:40 am

Jay,

I enjoyed listening to that. It's a great piece of music.

Vanessa suggested that I'd enjoy playing it a while ago. In the meantime I lost my way and got distracted. So this is also a good reminder for me to go and take a good look at the lesson.

Besides a couple of little timing hiccups, which I imagine were camera nerves related, it sounded as I remember the piece.

Regarding the sound quality, there was a lot of maxing out on this end for sure.

Amazing that you got this piece to that level in a month.

Cool. Thanks for the inspiration.

M

Lavallee

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Jay, I love that song and you did very well. I also play the song and I find that your timing, particularly on the pull off pick notes.

Good show

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic