Student Video upload for review - Never Going Back Again - michelew

TGNeil

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Michele,

This is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. Great idea doing the different aspects. I will get to a video next week but 2 quick suggestions. Don't forget you have 4 (maybe 5) left hand fingers, using your 4th finger along with your 3rd would make the slide section sound better. When the barre happens up the neck, think about your 2nd finger, and its note, earlier.

Neil

michelew

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks everyone for you encouragement and feedback.

Neil - I'll defintiely focus on applying your suggestions when I get home from work. Yes the slide from the 3rd to the 5th is often cut off or hardly there at all so using assistance from the pinky might help heaps. The second finger at the sixth (I assume), I hear you. I think I normally anticipate it but maybe I need to get ready and attack earlier as you suggest. I was feeling fairly distracted by the camera, which does show up the things that aren't automatic and those that are but are incorrect. :) I'm looking forward to any other suggestions you have.

Willem - I'm glad to hear it's sounding musical. That's the idea right? Yes it did start to get choppy when I sped it up. Yes my little Coco (nut!) also known as my little 'licky, licky monster,' is a sweetie. :)

Marc - thanks, yes I think Coco was very focused, ... On landing a big wet kiss on my cheek. :) which she managed. :)

Bill - thanks. I've been working on this on and off for so long that I think I have practiced some bad habits into this one. They defintiely are hard to undo once they become automatic.

Sandy - the guitar does sound good when I'm playing it cleanly. I've always lived how this tune sounds. It's fun to play too. Thanks!

Jason - thanks! Yep I've decided to take advantage of Neil and Vanessa's wisdom more by showing where I'm having trouble rather than just struggling through. After all, as you say, that's one of the unique things that TG offers. You should definitely try it.

Corina - welcome to my kitchen where I hope to eventually cook up tasty treats for people's listening pleasure. :) I included the clip of my little Coco in the hope that it would give some of you some giggles and grins. Hopefully it's wasn't too cute. :) she does have me wrapped around her little paw. :)

Chris - thanks. I does sound good when it's clean. When I slide up to the body it unfortunately is often not clean. I often need to adjust the placement of my hinge barre as I go. Hopefully I'll start to improve more when I apply Neil's advice.

Tom - thanks for the suggestion. I do do that to some extent. But I also find that when I slow it down a lot it actually can become hard to coordinate properly. But yes focussing on the sections that are tripping me up is good advice.

Dean - thanks! Interesting suggestion. I have two acoustic guitars; the steel string I'm playing in this video and a classical that has 12 frets to the body. It would be easier to do this on my Classical I some respects but then I've need to capo it at the fourth fret rather than the sixth and I would never be able to sing it then. The sound would lose something too I think. I like your thinking though.

familyman4

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Michele,
I totally enjoyed your video. It is fun to watch your concentration level and I think you have figured out a huge key for practicing new songs! Very nice and thank you for posting your progress....

Bart

michelew

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks Bart. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is likely to be a long time, if ever, before I'm able to learn from our teaching gurus by playing for them in person and getting advice that way. Luckily we have technology to span the huge distances between us and two teachers who know how to deconstruct what we're doing with such a limited view. We're lucky!

Thanks.

M

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:00 am

Hi Michele,

Good that you are feeling this confident ... results !!

When I (soon) attack this, I'll owe you :)

Pierre

TGNesh

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:57 am

That's just an awesome job Shel!!

As you know, I very much like the 'work in progress video's'-format, since it's right there that Neil or I, or anyone else for that matter, are able to help out. Loved your audience too!! :P

I hope Neil's 'quick suggestions' work for you until he gets to really reviewing it. Let us know how it's going. :)

Ness

michelew

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Pierre - I really enjoy playing this song. It's definitely got some tricky bits in it, but the sound is worth the pursuit and the roll picking is heaps of fun once you get used to your thumb and fingers working in different cycles. It's sort of hypnotic too. :) Give it a go. You'll love it.

Ness - it's all your fault that I'm posting progress videos right now. So if anyone has a problem with it, I'm going to point them in your direction. :P :D YEP Neil's advice is great as we all know it is. There's lots to work on. It really will give me a boost and new energy to get this song sounding how I want it to sound. Thanks for your support sweetie.

tjwatson10167

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 am

Michelle,

Wow, that sure was nice. Not an easy piece to tackle. Thank you for sharing.

Blue Skies,

Ted

michelew

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 am

Thanks very much Ted. That's so nice to hear. I hope to rerecord it this coming weekend or maybe the next. The night before last I was applying Neil's advice and it's already sounding better, especially the slide in the verses.

Now I'm wondering why I hadn't sought help before this of course. :)

Thanks for watching and your nice comments.

Michele

BTW - I really like your sign-off. "blue skies" that's so nice. Guess which song is now looping in my head. :) ... smiling at me.... La, la, la blue skies .. Hmm mm. Hmmm.

Nice! :)

auntlynnie

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 am

Hi Michelle,
As usual, I'm way late with a response. I'm writing this before I look at Neil's review.
I thought you did a remarkable job with this. I found myself singing along and to me that shows that you've got it at a good tempo and that shows a lot of practice to have gotten to that point.
The video is so good in that you showed exactly where you are having difficulty. We should all do that - very helpful.
Can't wait to watch Neil's review.
Lynn
ps - love the dogs!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic