Don McLean Vincent by dtaylor

dtaylor

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm

A verse and a chorus, any advice is most welcome :)

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Dean,

Your playing is beautiful and very clean. It looks like a complicated piece to play. Is this Muriel's version?

I've never tried to play this so everything I say from here may be unfounded. This is such a beautiful and intensely emotional song; heart-breaking. In a few places, your playing sounds a little rushed, like the 'starry, starry night' melody and the slide. Maybe it's spot on (I haven't played this) but I wonder whether they would be more emotionally powerful if you back off a little and lean into it (retard it a little at first then quicken), perhaps the opposite with the slide.

I guess I'm saying you might want to be a little more fluid with the tempo to really make the most of the beautiful sadness of this song.

It's already sounding great. I'll be listening out for Neil's advice.

Beautiful.

M

dtaylor

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for looking in, Michele; this is the accompaniment version by Don McLean, Muriel's version (or Chet's) is maybe a future aspiration.

You're spot on with the observation on tempo, much of the lesson was on the need to play it with flexible timing. Listening again it would benefit from 25% reduction in tempo and more retard, as you say. I love the melody and will work on expressing the emotion once I've learned the bridge too.

BobR

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Dean,

Very nice indeed.

I always look forward to your posts.

Bob

michelew

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:05 pm

BTW - what's the guitar you're playing here? It sounds great.

dtaylor

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks Bob, cheers for the support!

Michele, it's a BSG, the same make as Chris', handmade, full solid wood, Brazilian rosewood.
I hope I can do it justice one day.

michelew

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:28 pm

WOW! You already do it justice Dean.

dennisg

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Very, very pretty, Dean. This is one of the nicest versions of this song I've heard. It sounds like you're playing it with total confidence and assurance.

tombo1230

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Well Dean that was really a very nicely played and sweet sounding rendition of this classic tune. Really nice job!
The guitar has a very lovely tone to it. you always post songs that I like.

Tom N.

TGNesh

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:33 am

Vincent....I just lóve Vincent, my most favorite song that I worked on as a TG-student. I still really like to play it since as an accompaniment it already sounds so beautiful and that's what you've captured here too, it sounded beautiful...

I'll leave the tips and tricks to Neil, I'm sure he'll love to review this. I'll point out one thing that Neil points out in the lesson though. When playing the slide (measure eight), don't move your thumb along with your fingers, try keeping it where it is. Well he might get into it himself. :)

Wonderful job Dean, as usual I should add!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic