Progress video - Never Going Back Again - michelew - incorporating Neil's advice

michelew

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:21 am

Hi everyone, I thought I'd upload a video showing where I'm up to with applying Neil's advice on Never Going Back Again. I put this in the review thread, but I thought it better to start a new thread.

I've actually recorded much better footage (with terrible sound), but I've just upgraded my GarageBand and it keeps quitting unexpectedly ... so this is the only footage with a OK sound track. I guess it's more honest uploading the first take anyway....

I still have a ways to go, especially with landing the jump to the C section cleanly, reliably and the bass line stretch with my pinky in the Am7 Em section. I keep bending the low E with my pinky and cutting off the other notes too.

I can definitely do better, especially slowed down, but not consistently, hence the upload full of dud notes. Oh and my pinky and 3rd finger are reeeeeaally sore. Ouch!

I'm finding that now that the old fingering is starting to be overwritten by the new fingering in my brain, the slide is much better and I'm more conscious of sustaining a bunch of notes that Neil pointed out to me.

I'll keep working on this for sure.

I tried to upload this via the busking uploader, but my Safari crashed. :(

auntlynnie

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:22 am

Not that I could detect all the nuances that you and Neil are addressing, but I think it is sounding great!
It looks like a real workout for your 3rd & 4th fingers of the left hand!
Cheers,
Lynn

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 am

That is looking and sounding GREAT Michele! Love it! Its been very interesting to watch your vids on your development and it will be very helpful for anyone tackling this song.
I'm finding that now that the old fingering is starting to be overwritten by the new fingering in my brain...
Just wanted to mention, there is no overwriting (implies a harder or more complicated process of replacing), you have just grown new neural pathways which you are finding easier and easier to travel as you practice and they become broader and more stable. Much easier! :-)

Winter is doing you well, shel! :laugh:

Chris

tombo1230

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:18 am

That's an impressive improvement in such a short time. Well done Shell. I love that tune!! B) :)

Tom N.

dennisg

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 am

Good to hear the improvements you've been working on, Shel. I'm loving what you're doing!

One thing I'm missing are the final notes on that 2-fret slide. I can hear the slide up, but not the notes it lands on. I'm wondering if they're getting muffled in your playing or if your mic isn't sensitive enough to pick up those low-volume tones.

michelew

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone!

Lynn - Yep the 3rd and 4th fingers couldn't laze around on this one. Neil's got them in a vigorous workout program. They'll be buff before I know it. :) my hinge barre callous is coming back too. It's a great song.

Chris - Thanks! You're so right. I now have new neural pathways, if I keep practicing they may become highways rather than meandering country dirt tracks. :) When I was at the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop, I took a percussion class from a very cool teacher called Piper. She used to say that if something felt really awkward or wasn't coming together yet' ( basically if it hurts your brain), just tell yourself your brain is building new networks, keep trying and it will come together soon. I love that idea. So whenever something feels hard now, I celebrate that I'm building new pathways in my brain. Thanks for the reminder.

Tom - thanks! It's a great tune for sure.

Den - thanks! Yeh I need to ensure I pluck it again when I slide back. I'm not sure why it's low here. I'll pay attention.

Thanks!

Shel

Lavallee

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Shel , I am not expert enough to say where the specific improvements are, but overall it sounds a lot more fluid.

I like it a lot

Marc

michelew

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:03 am

Thanks Marc. That's good to hear. I think it's becoming more fluid too, especially when I'm consciously trying to sustain the notes Neil suggested I work on. Having the right knowledge is a cool thing. :) learning to apply it is even cooler. :)

TGNesh

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Way to go Shel! I can absolutely see the improvements. I think Marc hit the hammer on the nail when saying that it overall sounds more fluid now and that's just a great achievement! :cheer:

Looking forward what our master has to say! :)

Ness

sbutler

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Well Shell, that is great. I admire your ability to keep really good time while your picking away.. Your obviously not playing as fast at Lyndsey did on the recording, but that's ok. It sounds musical, easily recognizable, and as the "pro's" before me mentioned, very fluid. I'm proud of you. Great job.

Now when my last attempt at cutting my left index finger off heals, You've inspired me to give this a go.

Great job buddy!

scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic