>>Target Members Only Student Video Review by Vanessa - Driving toward the daylight by Lavallee

tgjameela

Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only student video reply by Vanessa is now live.

Today we look at Lavallee working on Joe Bonamassa - Driving Toward The Daylight.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... ew_id=1200

Music Junkie

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 pm

Vanessa:

Thanks so much for this review. You know I am working on this one as well, and I am still working on getting the barre and pinkie down in sync. It is getting better, but it is slow going for me. Mark does such a good job on that part. I also really lied the part about "feeling" the beats. It sounds simple, but when you are working on so many parts, those simple things can get lost.

Marc: I can't wait to see your progress. You are doing so well on it already!

Jason

Lavallee

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:29 am

Thank you very Ness for putting a review. It is full of interesting advices and make sense tips. The singing is definitely throwing me off a lot. At first when I only played without singing against the video, I recorded it and it seems pretty in time. Then with adding the singing, I was trying to emulate his singing in the video but I was ending up making the chord changes on the singing rather than on the beat when I do it alone, as you pointed out. The verses are not always spoken at the same time relative to the chord changes, not much, but enough to be confusing, and it does not take much to confuse me.

I really like the advice of getting use to the beat by simplifying the chords first to get the beat right and by emphasizing the beat that needs to emphasized, then with the humming , then the singing, then the real chords. I remember Neil suggesting something similar but when it does not apply to your actual playing, you forget easily. But you have brought this up and it obviously work because you are such a good performer.

This thing about moving the body is something I do when the song is easy , but as soon as it becomes somewhat complicated especially when there is syncopation or the second beat is emphasized then I start focusing on the chords and I let go the body thing then I loose the timing. This is most likely why I look so tensed during the videos I post. There is video I did on the 3-4 chords thread , Wild thing that I remember actually have fun playing and singing it because there was no thinking. So this sequence of learning the song you suggested is becoming my new approach.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this

Marc

Lavallee

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:34 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Vanessa:

Thanks so much for this review. You know I am working on this one as well, and I am still working on getting the barre and pinkie down in sync. It is getting better, but it is slow going for me. Mark does such a good job on that part. I also really lied the part about "feeling" the beats. It sounds simple, but when you are working on so many parts, those simple things can get lost.

Marc: I can't wait to see your progress. You are doing so well on it already!

Jason
Thanks Jason, I am re- starting this lesson fresh with Ness' advice on the learning progression (simple chords, and up). You should post a video of where you are at, it is so helpful and motivating

Marc

TGNesh

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 am

Hey Marc, absolutely glad that it is useful and helpful! Indeed, keep me updated, no doubt you can nail this one!

Jason, yep I of course had you in mind as well. ;) Marc is right, please show us how you're doing with this one, since it's motivating and useful for you as well as others. :)

Ness

Edit:

Lavallee

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey Jason, good to see you playing the song. I am sure sure it must be something else to play it with Vanessa. I could not hear you sing because I think that the microphone was too far ;)

Marc

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hey Jason, good to see you playing the song. I am sure sure it must be something else to play it with Vanessa. I could not hear you sing because I think that the microphone was too far ;)

Marc
Marc,

You are quite right. Playing with Vanessa is a blast. She is so talented. The mic was in front of her, and I was singing very low anyway. I am still working on my singing volume and gathering the nerve to get a little louder. I hope we can play this song together sometime!

Jason

tombo1230

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:11 am

HI Jason,
fantastic to see you up there performing, well done mate! We all know it is a bit scary to get up there and do that, but you are definately conquering your fear.

You have come a long way from IGC1. :)

Great job!

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:31 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
HI Jason,
fantastic to see you up there performing, well done mate! We all know it is a bit scary to get up there and do that, but you are definately conquering your fear.

Great job!

Tom N.
Thanks Tom. :) This was after the open mic though, so it was much easier.... :P

I would love to see you at an IGC again. We have missed you the last two years!

J

tombo1230

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:43 am

Music Junkie wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
HI Jason,

Great job!

Tom N.
Thanks Tom. :) This was after the open mic though, so it was much easier.... :P

I would love to see you at an IGC again. We have missed you the last two years!

J
I've missed being there. Maybe we can catch up at the Euro IGC if it happens? :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic