Victor Waltzing Matilda by jayswett

jayswett

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Victor playing this song with Dave was one of my favorite moments of the recent IGC. I have been working on this instrumental fingerpicking version since I returned from California. I've gotten this far, but would like to see what else I could do to add melody to it, or perhaps use some different chord phrasings higher up the neck. Something like that. Not sure where to go from here....

vzg14

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Jay,

Wow, that was great. And thanks so much for your kind words. It's not that often that someone tells me that I had inspired them.

In looking at the camp video, it was unfortunate that my book blocked my fingering because I did play up the neck. I have a fingerpicking arrangement that I'll record for you.

Thanks again.

-Victor

vzg14

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Actually, I just remembered that I recorded this a couple of months ago. I combined Waltzing Matilda and Freight Train on this video. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
-Victor

Email: [email protected]

sandysue

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Very nice Jay. You sound great. You and Victor have repopularized a great song for all of us. We all had fun singing that song along with Victor at IGC.

Sandy

PS: Victor you just posted your version on this thread while I was writing a note to Jay. It sounds great, Jay is going to like that. :)

BobR

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Jay,

Well done and now that Victor has given you more I'm sure you'll get that as well.

Bob

PS
Victor, great job :)

Craig

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:39 am

Jay,

That sounds great! You have a solid foundation to build on. Your guitar sounds really good too. Thanks for sharing. Please post again when you add the stuff you're looking for, I'm sure you'll get some great advice!

Craig

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:18 am

Great to see you posting Jay! And as usual, you are playing along with that unmistakable internal metronome you have and its sounding really good! Nice to see Victor has jumped in already with what you need, well done Victor!

michelew

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 am

Well this is a surprise. I have to say I never expected to hear Waltzing Matilda on TG. Why...? Not sure but there you have it.

Jay and Victor, you're both playing very nice versions of an iconic Aussie song.

So where did your inspiration come from Victor? Tommy Emmanuel?

Pleasantly surprised.

Michele

wrsomers

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:20 am

Nicely done Jay and Victor.

Bill

Music Junkie

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Jay:

Well done! I have always thought you were so strong on fingerpicking, and I was blown away by your work on Dust in the Wind at the IGC. This sounded great! Very clean and steady. I admire your talent.

Victor:

I was also very impressed with your performances at the IGC recently. It is obvious that you have put the time in when it comes to practice and hand positioning. Very smooth and steady work. Excellent job.

I have always struggled with fingerpicking anything beyond simple patterns. Watching the two of you play, just shows that I have a long way to go...lol. Thanks for sharing your videos. They are inspiring to say the least.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic