Eric Clapton Nobody Knows You by jayswett

jayswett

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 pm

That Eric Clapton unplugged album from the early 90's was a fixation of mine for some time when it came out, so I have managed to learn a few of the songs for which lessons were created by Neil. I have been trying to learn a bit about lead playing, so when I saw Neil's lesson on Nobody Knows You included a segment on this topic, I decided to take a crack at it. I am using a loop pedal to lay down the chord progression, then playing lead over it. This is not like the lead in the real song, just me playing notes from the pentatonic scale that seem to fit OK. I have barely cracked the surface of what the loop pedal has to offer, but as time allows, I will learn more about it. Getting started with it is actually pretty easy. You might think about treating yourself to it as a Christmas present. This is a Boss RC-3, and I think cost about $200 US.

Craig

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Nice work Jay!

I love the fact that you are challenging yourself and branching out in your guitar experiences!

Keep up the great work.

Craig

sandysue

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 pm

You sound great Jay. You're a really good guitarist. That's a pretty guitar. :)

Sandy

Music Junkie

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Jay:

That was pretty darn cool. Leads and solos have always been on my list of things to learn, but it all seems so overwhelming at times. I think you have a good start there. That loop pedal is a great idea for practicing those.

The part that always seems confusing to me is when to hit what note. I know that the scale is in, or related to, the key in which you make your progression, but I don't have a solid enough grasp on the scales to know which note is where, so I can hit specific notes as the corresponding chords are passing through. I think I said that right... :blink:

Just out of curiosity, what was the key you were playing in? What Chords / What Pentatonic Scale?

Thanks for posting this video. I really enjoyed watching and listening.

Jason

michelew

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Very cool Jay. I enjoyed watching that. You make using the loop station look easy too. Good fun.

Inspiration. :)

Thanks.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 am

That was pretty cool Jay, you seem to have that going really well. Thanks for the demo with the loop, been wondering about what its like to use one, looked like a lot of fun! So I looked them up, interesting I am also curious as to what you would recommend if I would start looking for an E-guitar?

Chris

TGNesh

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:50 am

Very very nice Jay, the electric guitar fits you! :)

And yes, thanks for the loop-demo too, since I want one! ;)

crieniecat

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Well that was so much fun to listen to. You make it seem very easy.
Nice! Thanks for sharing :cheer:

jayswett

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:40 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Jay:

That was pretty darn cool. Leads and solos have always been on my list of things to learn, but it all seems so overwhelming at times. I think you have a good start there. That loop pedal is a great idea for practicing those.

The part that always seems confusing to me is when to hit what note. I know that the scale is in, or related to, the key in which you make your progression, but I don't have a solid enough grasp on the scales to know which note is where, so I can hit specific notes as the corresponding chords are passing through. I think I said that right... :blink:

Just out of curiosity, what was the key you were playing in? What Chords / What Pentatonic Scale?

Thanks for posting this video. I really enjoyed watching and listening.

Jason
Jason,
I can't say that I have a great understanding of this scale business. I am pretty sure that I was mostly playing just the basic pentatonic scale shape, and in this case was using the Am or C major pentatonic scale, and also the the Dm pentatonic scale higher up the neck. Most of the notes seemed to work out. Neil has a good segment about all of this in his lesson for this song. I need to go back and look at it again as I am sure there is much more to learn from it than what I picked out the first time I watched it.

jayswett

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:43 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That was pretty cool Jay, you seem to have that going really well. Thanks for the demo with the loop, been wondering about what its like to use one, looked like a lot of fun! So I looked them up, interesting I am also curious as to what you would recommend if I would start looking for an E-guitar?

Chris
Chris,
I am only now looking into getting a good electric guitar for my son and me. The one I used in this video is basically a garage sale type of thing. I have barely begun the process, but my sense is that I will probably get a Gibson Les Paul, although the Fender stratocaster seems like another high quality electric guitar. I have alot more to learn about it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic