Leo Kottke The Fisherman by dtaylor

dtaylor

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Following on from Neil's discussion on Beginner to Advanced mindsets, I thought I'd share my attempt at a level 9 tune. As ever, any constructive criticism is most welcome.
I've been pretty disheartened with my inability to play songs well, from start to finish, which was, I think, one of those 'intermediate' qualities Neil spoke about. I get a kick out of learning new things; that's what makes me want to pick the guitar up, and even though I practice a lot, my 'performance' level, (even though I don't perform), is always a disappointment.

Anyway, I guess it made me think that I should try to post something, as that forces me to practice a complete song, rather than bits and pieces.
I intend to do the same for some other tunes I've had on the go, but have not been able to piece together yet.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Nice work Dean! Not your BSG this time.... a Martin?

dtaylor

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi Chris, I'm enduring an enforced absence due to overseas posting. I'll see her someday soon! Good spot though, a Martin 000.

davidrfinn99165

Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:25 am

That's great playing Dean, well performed !! I do follow Neil's advanced lessons- Cavatina, Quicksand etc but it is tough getting all the parts to performance level at the same time. I tend then to move on to the next one before the previous one is really ready for public (or video) performance as a complete piece.

I've watched the beginner and intermediate sections so far of Neil's thinkpiece, the intermediate section was excellent and very thought-provoking. Hmm, will the advanced student section depress me haha???

Thx and looking forward to more videos Dean!

crieniecat

Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:03 am

Very impressive!
Well done.

Aren't we ourselves our biggest criticus?
I can relate to it a lot. Letting go of that completely, is something I look forward learning as well, it might be one of the bigger challenges in life.

Corina.

jayswett

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:15 pm

I always enjoy watching your videos. Nicely done, as usual. I can't add anything helpful in terms of your guitar playing. It's as solid as ever.

dtaylor

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:43 pm

David, thanks for your comment, after posting this I did wonder to myself how much more practice I have ahead of me to get this where I'd want it, or if I've just reached the limit of my ability and need to be content with it. I don't know.

Corina, I'm not unusual in my self-criticism I'm sure, I do sometimes get satisfaction from progress I make but it gets less and less, I may be making less progress or not recognising any I do make. So it's nice to get some affirmation from the the members now and again, thanks for your input.

Jay, thanks for looking in and for the feedback as ever.

tombo1230

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice work Dean. I think you are doing brilliantly and I think you are being a little harsh on yourself. This is a fast, difficult tune.

Keep pushing yourself and just isolate any parts you feel aren't as good as other bits. I am sure you know this already.

I was impressed! Keep up the good work, as it is obvious to me you are making good progress. :)

Tom N.

MarkM

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 am

Dean,

Well done!!! From my perspective this is certainly video ready. All the pieces are there and the speed at which you play them is there as well. Nothing really to add except I understand where you may be frustrated from time to time. I find myself there all the time. My fingerpicking skills aren't where I want them and so I get frustrated and throw out a strummer, albeit a new song for me, to feel some form of accomplishment. That's a good topic to explore. In this case though, your performance was very good indeed. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic