Nick Drake Fly by dtaylor

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:04 am

Dean:

Another beautiful ND cover. His tunes are so haunting and memorable. You truly capture his heart in your covers. You have done such a wonderful job here (and on your your previous covers). The vocals were super strong here, and a great addition! Thanks so much for posting another song. I really admire your diligence and playing skills. I hope to here you play at an IGC open mic some day. You really are an inspiration. I have to look into the Northern Sky tab that I have. I love that song! I think you ought to do a complete album cover...lol

Kudos to you!

Jason

davidrfinn99165

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Dean, many thx, that was all-round excellent and beautifully performed.

/ David

BobR

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Dean,
I very much enjoyed that as well as your previous post.
Your videos are always so good

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Lavallee

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:00 am

Very nice Dean, playing is smooth and clear, as it seems easy for you to do, and I really enjoyed your singing.

The singing seems to be particularly challenging as the guitar melody is certainly not a guidance for the voice. it is like voice is aiming at the base line and the fingers plays an accompaniment not in line with the singing melody. For me who can hardly walk and chew gum, it seems pretty difficult to do.

Great performance

Marc

dtaylor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 am

Jay, that's wonderful to hear, I'm so glad you liked it, especially as you're a Nick Drake fan. I'm working on Cello Song, I hope I can post that soon too.

Chris, thankfully this is not one of those hardship postings, so I can at least find time to practice, thanks for looking in.

Craig, this is one of those ND songs that are a challenge to do justice to certainly, as long as didn't disgrace myself :)

Corina, thanks for the advice, there's some level 8 and 9 tunes that I'll leave for a while and see how they go when I get back to them. I don't concentrate on producing a finished product enough too, maybe it just requires more perseverance with that in mind instead of just a hobby or pastime.

Tom, I'm so glad you liked it, thanks for listening.

Jean, I had a short window of opportunity to record a few things so my hand was forced a bit! Thanks for listening :)

dtaylor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:00 am

Jason, I'm so touched to hear your generous comments, it's enormously encouraging to get such generous feedback, especially on a song and artist I have great respect for. I'm really glad you thought I did it justice. BTW I have learned half the songs off Pink Moon, I've not had the confidence to do a version of Pink Moon the song yet but i'll work on it, maybe at an IGC :)

David, I know you're a very polished performer so your comment is very encouraging, thank you!

Bob, as always, thank you for your kind comments and for listening in.

Marc, the separation of the playing from the singing is something that seemed impossible when I first tried it, I remember opening my mouth and my hands would stop operating! It can still be a headache but with a song like this, with a very set picking pattern, it's easier to put your hands on autopilot and concentrate on the singing. Thanks for the compliment as ever, I appreciate the kind words on my singing :)

TGNesh

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:03 am

That was fantastic Dean!

I've listened to the original and I sure agree with Shel, you've captured the feel of the song really well, both guitar wise as well as vocally. Interesting to hear you sing in another part of your range, you sound great!

Also, thanks for the reminder, Nick Drake has such haunting songs.

Really good job Dean, absolutely enjoyed it!

Ness

MarkM

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Dean,

Wow!! Very well done. I'm not familiar with the song but after seeing this I think I should get myself acquainted with it. A pleasure to watch and listen to. Thanks for sharing. 24 hours of practice........ Wow.......

Mark

Rbinding

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Dean,

Great Job! I can't believe 24 hours in you can put together a performance like this. I have started to appreciate Nick Drake only after hearing about him at TG. You seemed to really capture his style of playing and singing. I am very impressed! Waiting to hear the Pink Moon cover!

Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic