Nick Drake Fly by dtaylor

dtaylor

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:12 pm

I learnt this 24 hours ago and thought I'd put it out there for general criticism. I'm wary of posting Nick Drake songs as I have enormous respect for his talent, so I hope I haven't ruined a favourite of anybody's!

michelew

Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:26 am

Gosh Dean... That's really beautiful... I have a lump in my throat. Your playing is really lovely and you've captured the emotion of the song so well... Really nice singing.

I don't listen to this album much. I prefer Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left. I guess I should give Bryter Layter more time.

I'd quite like to learn this one.

Thanks for the reminder that Nick's stuff is so powerful. Really lovely performance.

Michele

Edit: Did you learn this from tab?

dtaylor

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:18 am

Thank you so much Michele, that's really nice to hear.
The tabs are here if you get the urge http://www.chrish.ndo.co.uk

It's in BEBEBE and similar in structure to Place to Be. It's amazing to me that he could take something so simple and turn it into gold.

(I must admit that Fly is the only song I own from the album, Pink Moon is more to my taste too)

jayswett

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:40 am

That was, in a word, incredible. I don't recall having seen you sing prior to this video, but you were spot on with this. I also love Nick Drake, having been introduce to him here on TG, and in particular I really like Road and Northern Sky. I am off to itunes to download this song. Congratulations are in order for this performance. A joy to watch.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:49 am

Nice work Dean, must be a nice deployment, your making great progress!

Craig

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Wow Dean! Great job on this. It seems as though this would be difficult to sing but you do a really nice job of it. Very well done all the way around.

Craig

crieniecat

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Very enjoyable and well sung!
Fits like a glove.

p.s. about being stuck in progress... if you feel like there is non or not enough progress, leave the song alone for a while, take a pause.
Play a different tune and after a week or two get back to the previous song again, record it and see what happens.
You might get surprised.

Sometimes we become a little "deaf" if we focus on the same song over and over again.
Maybe it helps or maybe you've tried this already...

tombo1230

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:14 pm

A beautiful song full of emotion. Great playing and singing, really enjoyed listening.

Tom N.

fjeanmur

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Hey Dean,

I have to chime in here as well. Twenty-four hours? Not bad for a day's work. Nicely done, nicely sung. B)

michelew

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:43 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Thank you so much Michele, that's really nice to hear.
The tabs are here if you get the urge http://www.chrish.ndo.co.uk

It's in BEBEBE and similar in structure to Place to Be. It's amazing to me that he could take something so simple and turn it into gold.

(I must admit that Fly is the only song I own from the album, Pink Moon is more to my taste too)
Thanks for that Dean.

Oh and the fact that you got to this point in 24 hours, sing and videoing too, is incredible. I hope to be able to do the same one day.

Very impressive.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic