John Renbourn Ladye Nothynge's Toye Puffe by Rbinding

Rbinding

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:21 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

wrsomers

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:44 pm

That was excellent, however, I think if you had practiced this piece more you could have presented something that flowed smoothly and in time without any hesitations.
Bill

tjwatson10167

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:04 pm

I really enjoyed that. Nice and smooth. Great recording too. Happy New Year's....

Ted

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Sounds really nice and that's a nice stable of guitars you have there.... a Taylor a Martin and a Gibson Les Pual?

TGNesh

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:18 am

Very very nice Ron! Great to see you too! :)

I'm sure Neil will be pleased to see your upload. I'll leave the feedback to him. ;)

Ness

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:25 am

Ron,
That was really well done. You should record that and play it for your patients during induction. Nice and relaxing.

sandysue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:38 pm

That's beautiful Ron, I really enjoyed listening to you play that song. It's not as easy one but you did a great job.

Sandy

crieniecat

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Ron, so good to see you! :)
Well played, clear sound. A good one for the open mic's at IGC ;)

Hope all is well
Corina.

Rbinding

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks everyone for watching and the nice comments.

Bill, you are right the song still needs work to be performance ready. Some of the pauses were intentional, others due to not having the song fully up to speed. It's hard to know the best way to learn a new song. Is it better to learn it first in perfect time with a metronome and then go back and adjust the song as you would like to interpret it, or is it better to plan out in advance how you would like to interpret and perform it and then learn it that way from the start. For example, I'm playing the first 3 bars in first position which differs from how John Renbourn plays it and Neil teaches it in the lesson. I feet that I get more of the fretted and open strings ringing and like the sound better. I'll be interested to hear Neil's feedback.

The guitars in the background are an old Alvarez acoustic from high school...and a Collins CL Deluxe.

And Jay, all have to do is start talking and my patient's fall asleep! Well, maybe the nitrous helps too...

Good to hear from you guys and I hope everyone has a great New Year!

Ron

wrsomers

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Ron,
Those are interesting questions. I would think the first method would be better. Knowing a piece cold, then adding your own interpretation seems to me the better route.

Personally, I've never been a counter or a metronome user. I think it goes back to my youth when I was shy and couldn't bring myself to "count aloud" as my piano teacher was always telling me to do. When I was in junior high and high school I played trumpet in the band, so I always had the conductor and the percussion section to do the counting for me (except for the rests...1234,2234,3234,4234 etc :P Now playing solo, I just do my own thing. Happy New Year!

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic