Chris Isaak Wicked Game by neverfoundthetime

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:16 pm

This is me trying out the Busking uploader as Neil asked us to do, to see if it actually works. Looks like it does! Took me forever to find it but eventually I just typed in:
totallyguitars.com/busking
and it appeared. Guess it needs a better link somewhere (pls).

Been working on Wicked game the intro and riff. Have to say, its a wicked riff and I love it but it does have one part that is giving me a hard time. You'll see it!
That pinky slide up and release is deceptive (as Neil promised in the lesson). Been at it for a week but cannot get 2 play-throughs in a row without error, well only if I go super slow. Appreciate any feedback.... am I getting it right? Yes, I know I hit the wrong strings first time through, dang! Cannot hit that bass A at the end of the slide up as suggested in lesson.... is it necessary? :)

daryl

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi Chris, why do you think you need to use your pinkie? Have you tried using your 3rd finger?

Also, for the Bm chord in the beginning of that riff, rather than strumming the entire chord have you tried just hitting the B note with your thumb and then using your other fingers to strike the decending notes in the riff while you hold the B note down (letting it ring out while you are playing the other notes)?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi Daryl, thanks for tuning in! For once, I am trying to follow Neil's teachings as close as possible, instead of my usual fumbling :laugh:
When I do as you suggest, I find myself in a finger picking situation.... which could be an option. Still, I'd like to do as I am told for once in my life! :laugh:

daryl

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:52 pm

But why change now? ;-)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:55 pm

daryl wrote:
But why change now? ;-)
Trying to turn over a new leaf! :laugh: .... and to see if the up-loader works and gives our leader a poke in the ribs on a Sunday afternoon to respond.... :)

sandysue

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Chris. It’s great to see you working on that song. It’s one of my favorites. Your voice sounds perfect for it. It looks like a challenge to perfect the riff. You’ve made a lot of progress. Keep us posted. :) :) :)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks Sandy! I've watched you working on so many songs, nice you check my progress too :)

Craig

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Nice foundation on a great song Chris! And, as Sandy said, you're voice is really suited for it! I haven't gotten to that lesson yet so I can't offer any suggestions but I'm certain you will get some great advice soon! I'm looking forward to the updated version when you get it where you want it!

Craig

tombo1230

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Chris,
this is going to be great.....dare I say wicked even... :blush: excuse the pun.

I would practice very slowly, firstly playing the bit prior to the slide into the slide a hundred times if need be, then the same from the slide out of the slide. Then the whole chunk as it were, into and out of the slide, all slowly. Once you have it down slow, it will fit with the speed you are playing the rest at in no time at all.

You can obviously play a lot of it at speed, but I can see you hesitating when you hit the difficult part because it is hit and miss at this stage, so deep down you are not confident you won’t fluff it.

Slow it down and play it alot perfectly and your brain will believe you can do it.

I hope this makes sense. Did I say play it slowly? :laugh:

Good luck and hope to see it soon. Just one last thing....your voice is good for this tune as others have said. I think when you sing the word somebody you are cutting it a little too short
on the body part or actually the dy part, you probably haven’t noticed this because you are thinking of everything else, or perhaps that is just the way you like it. Just thought I would mention.

Hope this is useful.

Tom N.

TGNesh

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am

Hey Chris, awesome to see you showing us your work here! I think you're off for a good start too.

I kinda expect Neil to get into this, but for now i would say that the A in the bass on beat one of measure 10 should be in there. It's the first beat of the measure (the start of a new chord), it's important. You wanna feel that one and it'll probably fix your timing to get the full chord down on beat 2. Timing wise, at that point rhythmically you're off. Personally I find that more important than having the riff sound really good. Of course you want the latter too, but you gotta get the timing right first. So start with the slide down and getting that bassnote in there on beat 1. Once that works, try to add beat 2, the full A-chord

If Neil doesn't get to it, i promise that i will. :)

Many thanks for showing what you're up to and for checking if the busking-loader works. :cheer:

Ness xo

Edit: I actually agree with Tom on the word 'somebody', I guess i'd like to hear it a bit more clearly as well. But perhaps you like it the way you do it. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic