My Guitar

stratman3

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Gary, My name is Gary, Stratman3 for obivious reasons, I love my Strat, besides acoustic guitar, I love the blues.

DC-16RGTE....stands for: D-Dreadnought, C-Cutaway, 16-Martin 16 series guitar, R-Rosewood, GT-Gloss Top, E-Electronics. They now make the same guitar with Fishman "Aura" electronics, very cool, check it out.

Regarding Martin vs. Taylor, that's a tough one, that's like Ford vs. Chevy, or more like, Mercedes vs. BMW. Then again, more like there is a Fender camp and a Gibson camp.

When I was looking at purchasing my Martin about three or four years ago, I did compare Martins and Taylors. I thought there was NO comparison, Martin had the better sound. much more bottom, full and richer lower tone, I thought the Taylors did not compare, sounded tinny to my ear. Flash forward to about a month ago, I picked up a Taylor Grand Auditorium and I was blown away. What a great guitar. When you get into the $2k-3K range both brands sound excellent. Tough decision.
I did notice on this forum many people have Seagull guitars, thats also a really nice guitar and I believe for less dollars.
Anyway thats my thoughts on the subject. Gary

mickeynj

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi all, I bought my first guitar in 1979, it's a Penco A12DLX which is a Martin D18 copy. Penco's were made in Japan at the Hoshino factory where Ibenz are made. They were distributed by the Philadelphia Music Co. out of Limerick PA. I wish I could say I had 30yrs of experience but it's back to basics for me...again. I'm hoping to stick with this time. I just bought an Epiphone FT-165 Bard 12 string, I'm guessing circa 1978+-. pictured as my avatar

goldleaf

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Gary-Strat, I thought the 16 series was a smaller body size not the dred., I guess I only got part of the story. I have a cheap strat knockoff (Peavy), but it still kicks butt when you plug it in. I put a couple extra springs on the wammy bar to keep it level, I set the pick ups so it sounds pretty good. I would like to own a nice strat old style but when I plug in my electric and put it through a stomp box and turn on one of the wild sounds I turn into Jimi Hendrix w/o the skill, but it screams. Only when the wife is gone, way gone cause it's gonna get loud. So I practice my finger picking and try to get the best out of my all wood Guilds which I mostly play unpluged although they have some awesome electronics, especially my Willy Porter Signature Model. I also have a Tacoma acoustic/elec. w/ cutaway all wood, and a Blueridge Dread w/ cutaway, it really sounds nice but has HPL sides and back & spruce top. I forgot, I was in San Diego last month and went on the Taylor factory tour & played a couple of their display guitars in their soundproof room in the lobby. They were nice. Wish I could have a side by side with the Martin and Taylor. Gary

stratman3

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 am

Goldleaf, I compared the to brands, Martin and Taylor and Guitar Center. if you are in the states I am sure you nare not to far from one. You mentioned Willie Porter, the guy is great. Anyway check it out.B)

goldleaf

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Strat, how do you compare the Martin VS Taylor for sound and neck and general playability. I've never really played a nice Martin Orchastrea size 000. Ya, I just learned about Willy Porter when I bought the Guild, Contemporary Series, Willy Porter Signature Model. Check out under "Groups" under TG Community, "Guild Contemporary Series" there is a video of Willy playing the Signature Guitar. Gary

stratman3

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Goldleaf,

I believe Martin and Taylor are very comparable, As In said I did not always think that way, but maybe may ear has changed or I just picked up the right Taylor. All Guitars no matter what, are not a like.
I love my Martin but I would strongly consider a Taylor someday, But there are some great guitars out there. Tacoma, Seagull, Blueridge, Breedlove.
As the story always go, you pay for what you get.

goldleaf

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Stratman, I know what you mean, I have a Blueridge BR60ce and it really sounds nice. It is has a little bigger body than my Guilds but I would recommend anyone looking for a nice guitar at a reasonable price check out Blueridge. I also have a Tacoma although I have only played it once before I took it and 2 other guitars into my Luthier to be setup & have the fretboard sealed & whatever else they needed to make them "sing". It was in perfect condition although it looked dried out, probably since it was made in 2005-06 and been setting in a warehouse since then. My luthier polished out a corner of it and said he would send me home with a bottle of oil to polish out the satin finish in 2" circles, or I could pay him 1 1/2 to 2 hours labor to do the same thing. I got the point. I was amazed at how light the guitar felt, It has the orchestra size body w/cutout and e4 electronics. It's been there 3 weeks now I'm kinda anxious to get it back all set up and play it, and polish it too eventually. It's got a brown leather case that looks really sweet. Gary

goldleaf

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Stratman, have you ever played a Breedlove, or anyone else owned or played one. If so what is your opinion, also a Michael Kelly Guitar, same has anyone played or owned one. Gary

goldleaf

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:55 pm

mickeynj wrote:
Hi all, I bought my first guitar in 1979, it's a Penco A12DLX which is a Martin D18 copy. Penco's were made in Japan at the Hoshino factory where Ibenz are made. They were distributed by the Philadelphia Music Co. out of Limerick PA. I wish I could say I had 30yrs of experience but it's back to basics for me...again. I'm hoping to stick with this time. I just bought an Epiphone FT-165 Bard 12 string, I'm guessing circa 1978+-. pictured as my avatar
Mickey, are you playing your 12 string as your main guitar or your faux Martin?? I hope you stick with playing this time. I know a lot of us let our guitars set for decades, in many occasions, like mine. I was luck when I ran across TG and Neil, TG offers me a easy way to learn a lot of songs that I've always wanted to play. I can tune in anytime I want and Neil's methods make it reasonablly easy to learn songs, although some have some finger picking that is going to keep me busy for quite awhile. Gary

stratman3

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:55 am

Goldlief. Yes I have played a Breedove and they also make a nice guitar, I guess depending on the model and of course the price range. If I remember right, the one I played was about $800.00. I am really impressed with the Seagulls. Another guitar I forgot to mention is the Lariviee, Don't think I spelled that right.

I have a question for you, I want to get my Martin set up, but I am really, I mean really, hesitant to bring it to someone to check out. I never had it set up after I bought a few years ago. I know how they set up an electric, In fact, I did my Strat myself, but how and what do they do on an acoustic? I just think the action is a little high at the higher frets. This is a question I was going to put on the forum. Goldlief, or anybody out there?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic