My Guitar

rcsnydley

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 pm

I'll get this forum started by tell you about my acoustic guitars.

First, my old standby. I bought it used in 1974, it is an Alvarez model 5014. It has been everywhere with me and I would never sell it or trade it or well you know. It has a solid spruce top, nicely yellowed with age, and mahogany back and sides.

However, last night I brought home my new pride and joy.:woohoo: A Seagull Maritime mini-jumbo cutaway with the QII electronics. It has a solid spruce top with mahogany back, sides and neck. The thing about the back and sides though is that they have a layer of wild red cherry sandwiched between two layers of mahogany. Nice projection with a very full and warm sound. I can't keep her close enough to me. In fact, t;) he wife got mad last night when I told her she had to sleep on the couch because there wasn't enough room in the bed for the three of us.;)

John K

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 pm

I have a Seagull M6. I bought it 8 years ago sight unseen and is marked a facotry second, ( I can not for the life of me see why). Love this guitar
I also have an Ovation in a stand downstairs for general beating on. Sound isn't great, but it is durable. Both play better than I am now capable.

rcsnydley

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:02 am

I have never heard anything bad about Seagull guitars. What about others out there, any of you have Seagull guitars and what do you think about them?

My daughter is just starting to play so I bought her an Alvarez RD8BR it came with a hard case and had Elixir strings on it. It looks great, plays great and sounds very nice. And the best thing is it was only $150.00. The case that came with it looks like it would go for that much alone, what a deal.

How about Alvarezes? As I said earlier I have an old model 5014 and it still plays very nicely even though the bridge is starting to lift hence the action is quite high. It has aged well and sounds better every year. Let's hear what others think about Alvareses or any brand for that matter.

Enjoy.

Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am

Hi, I have 4 Acoustic guitars at the moment, well 5 if you count my Resonator. I keep one at the office its an old Epiphone PR400 early 80's model, then my main guitar is a Cole Clark FLC1 check out these babies on Cole Clark, every bit as good as a Martin, Maton or Taylor if not better. I also have a Alhambra W1 dreadnought again sounds way better than most Martins etc and finally my 12 string which is a takamine FP 400S early 90's model post the lawsuit ones. My resonator is a Johnston Chicago Blues R200.

My Alhambra and Cole Clark both have the Spanish neck which has the sides built into it, I think this is why they both sound so good.

gstarnes55

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:54 am

I have a Martin 000C-16RGTE auditorium-sized cutaway acoustic/electric guitar with a built-in Fishman Prefix Stereo Blender. It has a solid spruce gloss top. The back and sides are solid rosewood. I use light 80/20 bronze strings. I plug into a Peavey Ecoustic 112 amp. I bought them both around 6 years ago.

I also own a Yamaha FG-410A which I've had for about 17 years now.

blackvinyl

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 am

Hi i have a Taylor 114, spruce top laminate mahogany back and sides, its a beautiful guitar to play really bright and boomy, on the back it has a sort of stick out bum, this must squeeze the sound out to give more volume. I have an old stagg my first guitar, it has been chopped, drilled, stood on and generally battered but it has neve yeilded to the punishment, solid as a rock.

ratcityinblue

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 am

Hi-What a great new website!
I have a 1987 Alvarez-Yari DY85 Acoustic (Braz Rosewood). Very good bass response with this guitar. Also have a Carvin AE185 Acoustic electric which can get good and loud:P

jimc

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:33 am

The Avatar Says It All ! :woohoo: Image

Seagull Coastline Folk

ptalbany

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:08 am

I play a Martin Custom D-15 all solid wood rosewood & Spruce. The top was a icky white however I have to say its starting to yellow up real nice and its only been 3 years

When it first came in I was very disappointed in the looks of it however the sound and playability was a totally different story. It has all the bottom end I could ever ask for and what I really like about it is I got into playing odd tunings and someone told me I would need to get a real high end guitar they recommended like a Taylor or a guitar on that lines but I gave it a shot and I can tune down to like a low C tuning with no problems

I mean for an all solid wood guitar and it was under $1000.00 it was a great deal
But I just couldn’t live with the satin finish so I went out on a limb and tried a friends idea and waxed it down with McGuire’s scratch-X and then put a thin layer of polish on it, and I have to tell you it shines real nice not like a factory gloss top but enough to see yourself in it and catch peoples eye at a jam session

I can not wait to hear this guitar in another 15-20 years I think my $800 investment will more than pay for it self with time

PT

nspeer

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 am

Hey,
does anyone know what guitar Neil is playing on all his videos?? It sounds wonderful!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic