My Guitar

goldleaf

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 pm

WOW!!!! $175,000. I don't know much your usual charge per hour is but it's going to be hard to beat the per hour rate you made on that job, I mean if you did 10 hours labor that would be $17,500 per hour if my math is correct. Somebody was sure smiling down on you that day. Good luck and enjoy. You should definitely buy a lottery ticket with that kind of luck. How does it feel to hold and play an instrument that rare, I can't even imagine. Gary

cabro

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 pm

BTW, there were less than 700 of those guitars made that year.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:07 am

What guitars are you referring to and what year? You mean the Les Paul or 2007 Guild. If Guild how did you find that info, I would be interested in knowing all I can. Thanks

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 am

heatndude wrote:
I have been playing it all day, finally my fingers could not take it anymore. You are right my insurance agent gave it a $ 175,000.00 replacement value yesterday. So it is covered. I Owe this old fellow big time. No plans to sell just keep it in good shape and hand it diwn to my nephew who is just starting to play at age 11.
Does the old man know its value compared to the value of the work you did before he gave it away? If I were the old man i'd be a bit brassed off to say the least. But what a score really you don't hear things like that every day

cabro

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:18 am

goldleaf wrote:
What guitars are you referring to and what year? You mean the Les Paul or 2007 Guild. If Guild how did you find that info, I would be interested in knowing all I can. Thanks
Sorry, I was referring to the Les Paul.There were less than 700 1960 Standards made.

heatndude

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am

Yes he is well aware, along with his kids. I made sure I told them before keeping it, offered about 10 times to give it back but they would not take it ? I guess it is mine now.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:53 pm

I have a chance to buy a "Tacoma" EM9CE4 w/ case. It is in Mint condition, solid wood,single cutaway w/ electronics and plays great but I've never heard of the brand before. I can buy it for $700 -$800 maybe less. Anybody know about "Tacoma" guitars. I know it was made in USA and bought out by Fender 3 or 4 years ago. Thanks in advance for any info. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Since I'm asking, does anybody know about the Guild "Contemporary Series" made by Guild in Tacoma WA in 2007 before Fender bought out -- if not Guild, at least the "Contemporary Series" all wood Red Spruce top some are AAA Spruce top. Don't know what the A's are about. I don't know how many were made but I read Guild moved from Carona CA in 2006 to Tacoma WA 2007. Then Fender came in and Guild moved back to Hartford Conn. I guess near where they started and now produce only the Traditional Guild model. The GAD series are all made in China. I forgot they also made a Willy Porter Signature Model as part of the Contemporary Series that comes with 2 bone saddles, one for regular tuning and one for alternate tuning. Any info on these would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary.

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I have a chance to buy a "Tacoma" EM9CE4 w/ case. It is in Mint condition, solid wood,single cutaway w/ electronics and plays great but I've never heard of the brand before. I can buy it for $700 -$800 maybe less. Anybody know about "Tacoma" guitars. I know it was made in USA and bought out by Fender 3 or 4 years ago. Thanks in advance for any info. Gary
Gary- Tacoma is another brand that Fender bought out during their corporate acquisition phase a few years back (2004). I believe Fender no longer produces this guitar.

Tacoma was considered a solid, if unspectacular, guitar that represented a very good value for the money. I always thought of them as the Seagull of American guitars. They had many unusual features notably what they called a voice bracing system that was supposed to reduce the bracing to the very minimum needed. And an offset soundhole that I thought looked a little goofy but who am I to judge? They also used a bolt-on neck, the merits of this technique are controversial to say the least.

I have no idea what a new Tacoma is worth since they aren't in production anymore. Maybe some of the guitar value wizards could jump in here and help you out! But one thing is certain; you won't be getting any warranty support unless Fender offers it (unlikely). :cheer:

goldleaf

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing a picture of a Tacoma recently where the soundhole was not under the strings but in the upper left portion of the top. I think they still may make that model. The one I played has a normal centered soundhole. I would like to hear what the offset soundhole Tacoma sounds like, it sure looked interesting!! I keep coming across these guitars that are no longer produced, but they are made out of top quality woods and craftsmanship is good, made in the USA what can I say, I'm talking about the Guild Contemporary series & Willy Porter Signature Model. I'm going broke buying humidifiers to put in the cases of these guitars cause I know they have been setting in a warehouse somewhere for who knows how long. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic