My Guitar

wrench

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:31 am

stratman3 wrote:
Goldlief. Yes I have played a Breedove and they also make a nice guitar, I guess depending on the model and of course the price range. If I remember right, the one I played was about $800.00. I am really impressed with the Seagulls. Another guitar I forgot to mention is the Lariviee, Don't think I spelled that right.

I have a question for you, I want to get my Martin set up, but I am really, I mean really, hesitant to bring it to someone to check out. I never had it set up after I bought a few years ago. I know how they set up an electric, In fact, I did my Strat myself, but how and what do they do on an acoustic? I just think the action is a little high at the higher frets. This is a question I was going to put on the forum. Goldlief, or anybody out there?
stratman3,

We have kicked setup around a little bit here on the forum. I made a post about four months ago (when i had a whopping 3 months experience under my belt) in the thread was called "last minute advice" in the Acoustic Guitar Technical Q&A category. Ironically, the thread was started by member wanting to setup his Martin. The only thing I would add since then, is if you don't have access to nut files if you need them to work on the nut, you can use drills in a pin vice to lower the string seats of the nut. Drills aren't better than nut files, just a little more accessible. I have reworked nuts both by removing and sanding the bottom, and by working individual seats. If you only need to lower them a few thousandths, the drills work really well with very little danger of cutting too deep. If all the heights need to come down a lot and all the same, sanding the bottom will work better, but that requires removing the nut. There's something about taking hammer and a punch to a Martin that bothers me....

wrench

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:48 pm

stratman3 wrote:
Goldlief. Yes I have played a Breedove and they also make a nice guitar, I guess depending on the model and of course the price range. If I remember right, the one I played was about $800.00. I am really impressed with the Seagulls. Another guitar I forgot to mention is the Lariviee, Don't think I spelled that right.

I have a question for you, I want to get my Martin set up, but I am really, I mean really, hesitant to bring it to someone to check out. I never had it set up after I bought a few years ago. I know how they set up an electric, In fact, I did my Strat myself, but how and what do they do on an acoustic? I just think the action is a little high at the higher frets. This is a question I was going to put on the forum. Goldlief, or anybody out there?
Have a look here first:

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

The pages on Acoustic setup will tell you all you need to know. Asking the question here without being able to see the guitar and actually what you want to achieve ends up with speculative comment and advice. There are things to look at before takling the Nut though thats all I'd say at present with so little info.

good luck

Chas

goldleaf

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Wrench, I take any guitar I buy, new or used to my Luthier 1) to have it inspected for any internal or other problems I might not be able to notice 2) but mainly to get the action (string height) set at the nut and saddle & get the neck adjusted by the tension rod, also to get it "intonated" make sure it stays in tune as you play higher up the fretboard, say the 12th to 15th frets. These are all basic adjustments & some are personal preference. I know Neil said he likes a thicker guage strings and a little higher action, depending on how hard you strum and since he has excellent position and probably strong fingers, barreing chords is probably not a problem for him. For me it makes a major difference in ease of fingering and barreing especially the F chord. The saddle you can almost do yourself since they usually just set in the bridge. You can lift it out and sand the bottom to lower the strings. The nut is a little more difficult since you need the proper size files and a bit of knowledge, thats why I take mine to a Luthier, they have all the tools and a basic set up is like an oil change on your car for them. If you can find a Luthier by looking online or getting a referral from a music store it's good to call and talk to a few to ask their prices, but it is good to have a relationship w/ a Luthier you trust. It is usually money well spent. I took my guitars to the local music store and they sent them out. I never felt good about not speaking w/ the Luthier myself. I finally made some calls and now I feel like my Luthier is almost my friend who I can call to ask certain questions plus make my guitars preform the best they can and I am very choosey when it comes to how I want my guitar set up, as close to perfect as possible. Gary PS. a basic set-up is usually around $65, well worth the money. PSS. Setting up an electric is a lot easier than an acoustic from my experience. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic